Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slatron question.

Slatron question.

Yes, the word you all probably hate to hear most "Slatron". But just what makes it not a good playing surface? I've searched the web for weeks trying to find a good explanation, but all I can find are people saying "its crud, dont buy it".

Let me explain my situation. Im building a bar/rec room in my basement. We like to BS around. No one that comes over to my house, including myself, is any good at pool. Im not looking for a table to last me forever, maybe 5-8 years. For that matter, Slatron has a 7 year warranty depending on where you buy it. As far as installation goes, I plan on doing it with the help of a friend. I dont feel like paying $200+ for it to be done.

I've got to say, Im not opposed to slate. I havent even been to a pool store yet. If they have a used slate for a great price installed, then Sure, Im al for it. But when I can get a Slatron for like $700 new delivered That looks pretty cool for my decor, then Im kinda in a tough decision. Thats why I want some decent details why slatron isnt preffered. Thanks Guys (and gals)!

Re: Slatron question.

I'd love to hear the answer too. I'm in the same boat: just casual occasional use and for only a few years. A local dealer sais he could deliver and install an 8' slate table with all accessories for $1599 but I'm sure slatron is cheaper. Where did you see the Slaterons being sold?

I've seen a few at sears for $749, and there is one on Target.com called Minnesota Fats, It looks great and is only $650, but delivery is nearly $300. I would probably steer clear of the Walmart tables though.

Non slate tables are usually pressed wood, simply put, if your basement is humid at all, it could potentially warp on ya. Also temperature fluctuation could be a problem. Being wood it will probably dent easier from jumped balls.

Read the warranty statement closely, might be some small print about whats covered and what isn't.

If your willing to wait and search the paper every day, you should be able to get a good bargain on a used slate table. Good Luck

Favorite Quote "if winnings not important, why keep score" Worf ST:TNG

Well I've been shopping. I can get a cheap slate table delivered, set up, and have all the accessories needed to play for $1499 delivered (Imperial I believe). I do not want a non slate table. So used is a possibility but I don't think it's wort it. Why?
    Let's say I can get a slate table in good shape used for $800, You can only hope that all the accessories are included and in good shape: 4 sticks that aren't warped, racks, balls, brushed covers, ect.
    I spoke to a shop about setup costs. It goes something like this:
    Disassemble table- $150-$200
    Transport (local only)- $50
    Reassassemble in my basement- $200-$250
    Probable need for new felt/install- $100-$200
    Problems with table- $Yours$
    So you get an $800 table and add $500 to $700 to it and you have spent almost the same amaount of money with used everything and maybe not complete. If you have a problem your on your own.
    For $1500 and brand new everything and complete new accessories and cosmetically perfect it's not worth saving a few bucks. Plus, if there's a problem I can pick up the phone and call someone.

Slatron is not MDF. It is made from wood materials but it is resistant to warping (not water proof) and plays similar to slate. It starts out as a 15" thick board that gets compressed to 3/4", making it very dense and smooth. The carton weighs around 100 lbs for 8' tables (comes in 3 pieces, same as slate). The only problem is if it's stored in a very humid place or stored incorrectly by the retailer, it could warp.

Assembly would be the same with slatron or slate. You have to shim, grout and put the felt on along with the rest of the table. Professional assembly is not required (you will need to know what a wrench and a level are though). Most of the times you also get a video on how to put the table together depending on the manufacturing company.

Advantages of slatron:
    Cheaper (few hundred dollars cheaper)
    Weight (Slatron is about 100 lbs. Slate is around 450 lbs)
    Plays similar to slate (smoother and denser than MDF)

Disadvantages:
    Can warp (If someone spills water/beer etc on it. If it's stored in an environment with extreme temperature changes)
    Warranty (7 years compared to 10 years on slate)

Just curious: why stay away from Walmart?
    The research I did showed that Walmart sells exactly the same models of Mizerak tables as every one else...

Walmart.com does, Walmart stores do not (as far as I know).

Re: Slatron vs. MDF

Apart from the fact that slate is a best choice,
    for a novice user, which is better: Slatron or MDF?
    I've heard that MDF is less vulnerable to humidity.
    My basement is not exactly humid, but a possibility
    of drinks spilled on the billiard table top exists.
    Thanks for any feedback and/or recommendation.

Re: Slatron vs. MDF

Slatron is definately better (playing wise) than MDF. Usually slatron tables will be more expensive because of the better quality. I really doubt that mdf is more moisture resistant because slatron is made from mdf.