Thread: Question about rules/rulesets

Question about rules/rulesets

Well, there's this rule we use in my house, and it seems like we invented it out of nowhere. It's easier if I give a scenario. In a game of 8-Ball, you are down to one more ball in addition to the 8-Ball (Let's say you're solids, you have one more solid and the 8-Ball as well). Let's say you hit in your last solid, but in that same hit the cue ball either follows or rebounds somewhere and you scratch. The point is you scratched after you hit that ball in. I was always taught that this scenario counts as scratching on the 8, being as even though you weren't shooting for the 8 at that time, the 8 was the only ball you had left to hit. After all, people say it counts if that cue were to rebound and hit the 8-Ball in rather than scratch. I don't know, has anyone else heard of this? Because it's like a house rule now and everyone that I mention it to refuses to play under that rule (I mean, it's one thing to have never heard about it, but why can't you just be like "Okay, stupid rule but whatever...")

Re: Question about rules/rulesets

It may be a rule in your house, but it is not a rule in any of the official (APA or BCA) rules for 8-ball.

Well, I don't want to force people to play a rule that doesn't exist anywhere else. I'm just confused as to where I got this from, I was always taught to play this way. I was hoping that maybe some like hardcore weird super unheard of competition used the rule or something. Ha ha. Yeah, no dice. Anyways, thanks for the response, I think we'll be abolishing that family rule shortly.

I have no idea where you got the rule from. Many bars, around the country, make up their own rules, so, one of those bars could have been the source. It is impossilbe to say for sure.
    I have been playing for many years and have never heard of this particular rule before.