Thread: Positive Features of CCB

Positive Features of CCB

Here are some of my reasons why I think this new board is a great improvement over the old one.
    1) All the many intelligent posters on the board. Both in the real world and the wonderful world of pool who are willing to share their knowledge with everyone here.
    2) The board has many really skillful pool players posting here who have dedicated years to the "study" and perfection of pool and have advanced to the top levels of this game.
    3) The "favorite" option where I can return quickly to a thread I want to follow. I now don't have to depend on memory.
    4)The "search" option where one can search for a thread that one wants to return to or just to see if a topic has been addresed before posting it again.
    5) A dedicated webmaster who is responding to questions/problems voiced by posters. This is quite an expense for Billiards Digest to absorb.
    6) The ability to list polls in the threads.
    7) A webmaster who deletes the "get rich quick" schemes.
    8) Being able to check a poster's profile.
    9) A handy, informative FAQ list to help people understand how the board works. (Now if we can only get posters to read it)
    10) Using HTML to add color, bold, italics, smiley's easily to a message.
    11) Being able to import pictures to messages. Like mighty mouse! Although I have procrastinated learning how to do this.
    12) The Thread/response setup is basically the same way I had it set up on the old board except that this one is better. I use flat mode, collapsed threads, sort descending order by date with 5 posts per page. Once I open a thread I can easily read 5 replies without using the back arrow.
    13) The preview option at the end that effectively eliminates blank posts and allows for editing.
    I guess you can say that I am very happy with this system and once people spend a little time reading the FAQ's they will find it very user friendly. Thanks Billiards Digest. Jake~~~I was going to have another thread with negatives about the board but I am having a problem thinking of any.
    Old Jake

Re: Positive Features of CCB

My two cents are preceeded with >>:

Here are some of my reasons why I think this new board is a great improvement over the old one.
    1) All the many intelligent posters on the board. Both in the real world and the wonderful world of pool who are willing to share their knowledge with everyone here.

>> We had this with the old board.

2) The board has many really skillful pool players posting here who have dedicated years to the "study" and perfection of pool and have advanced to the top levels of this game.

3) The "favorite" option where I can return quickly to a thread I want to follow. I now don't have to depend on memory.

>> Minor.

4)The "search" option where one can search for a thread that one wants to return to or just to see if a topic has been addresed before posting it again.

>> Yes. This is good.

5) A dedicated webmaster who is responding to questions/problems voiced by posters. This is quite an expense for Billiards Digest to absorb.

>> I'm sure they had a webmaster before, s/he simply chose not to respond to posters.

6) The ability to list polls in the threads.

>> This is silly and ridiculous and getting way out of hand. They should disable this function.

7) A webmaster who deletes the "get rich quick" schemes.

8) Being able to check a poster's profile.

>> Not particularly useful - most are empty. Those that aren't, we know most of the info anyway.

9) A handy, informative FAQ list to help people understand how the board works. (Now if we can only get posters to read it)

>> The old board was so simple that FAQ wasn't necessary.

10) Using HTML to add color, bold, italics, smiley's easily to a message.

>> This is silly and stupid and distracting.

11) Being able to import pictures to messages. Like mighty mouse! Although I have procrastinated learning how to do this.

>> Minor. You could always put in a string for copy/paste with the URL to a picture. Having it inline adds very little, other than forcing me to see silly pictures, like might mouse.

12) The Thread/response setup is basically the same way I had it set up on the old board except that this one is better. I use flat mode, collapsed threads, sort descending order by date with 5 posts per page. Once I open a thread I can easily read 5 replies without using the back arrow.

13) The preview option at the end that effectively eliminates blank posts and allows for editing.

>> Summary: There is not a huge improvement with this board format. The sole improvement is the search capability, which could have simply been fixed on the old board.

Spetty, Life is too short to be so negative. Time to go play some pool and enjoy life. Got any Lladro's you want to sell. Jake~~~a palm tree fares better than an oak in a hurricane. [img]/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Old Jake

Hi Jake,

I'm not intending to be negative - I have adapted to the board as it is. It is simply irritating that there are people, not just you, who continue to praise the new board and all its new features when the useful features touted are not new and the new features are pretty much worthless.

They took a good thing and made it essentially the same (although a little less useful for me), and simply more difficult to use.

SPetty,
    Glad to see your coming around. They say a picture is worth 314 words or something like that [img]/ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Soon you will be a card carrying convert and you can get on with the pool bull session.