Thread: BCA: SAME ENTRY $ M/F DIFFERENT RACE?

BCA: SAME ENTRY $ M/F DIFFERENT RACE?

Okay first let me say, I LOVE this tournament. This will be my 3rd year and I am already excited about it. My only peeve is in the Singles Open I pay the same entry fee as the Men yet we only get to play a race to 4 (the men race to 5)? I really don't understand this. Most of the women are playing at a very high level (eq: of APA 5 or higher) and with maybe 1/2 the entries as the men even if a few matches take longer we are not taking up as many tables.
    But if you (BCA) insist on shorter race (which you do) why do we pay the same entry? I also noticed last year you did not pay out as deep as the men either. A male friend who lost at the same point as I got his $ back and I did not? So not only do I get to play less, I have to do better than the men? This just does not add up to me?

Re: BCA: SAME ENTRY $ M/F DIFFERENT RACE?

Cuechick, It is customary to pay out to a fixed percentage of the field, often 25%. If you have half the entries then half as many players should be in the cash. These are two separate tournaments apparently with equal entry fees. I see no problem with that and the payout.

As to the length of the races you probably have a point there. I don't see why there should be any difference in the tourmanents based solely on the gender of the participants.

Is this one of those tournaments where you have to constantly feed coins into the tables? If so, that is just a windfall profit for someone and is one of the reasons that Diamond is not allowed to provide the tables. Somebody has a good thing going and doesn't want to change it.
    Ken

That would make sense except the year before I finished exactly in the smae place and did get money? With less entries. That though is not really the issue, since I intend to win this year[img]/ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]! I think it is just a blatant sexist double standard!

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: cuechick:</font><hr> I think it is just a blanty sexist double standard! <hr></blockquote>
    Notwithstanding that I'm not sure what "blanty" means - as sad and stereotypical as it is, women generally take a longer time to play a match than men. So, women probably finish four games, in general, in the same timeframe as it takes men to finish five. This is just possibly one explanation. I wholeheartedly agree that the races should be the same.

IMO-I think that is an 'old' idea, that the women take longer, based on the old level of play. I do not think the overall level has reached the level of the men, yet. But it is not what I'm sure it was when the tourny first started.
    I think the BCA needs to give them women more credit or change the entry fee...
    (p.s. I fixed my spelling era....blatant [img]/ccboard/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] )

No double standard. I do not think there is a rule preventing you from playing with the men.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Dave Fagan:</font><hr> No double standard. I do not think there is a rule preventing you from playing with the men. <hr></blockquote>

That would surprise me. They have two open singles tournaments, one called "open men's singles" and another called "open women's singles". If women can play in the men's tournaments as you suggest, can men play in the women's tournaments? I would think not.

Specifically of which tournament are you speaking?