Thread: Tip Installation

Tip Installation

I just purchased some new Talisman WB 14mm. tips. The problem I'm having is figuring out which is the best method to install them. I have installed tips before, but they were always the same size as the shaft on the cue. And that never posed a problem. The problem I'm having now is that these tips are not cheap as most of you know. I just want to make sure that I don't destroy them. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Time is money, and I have little of both.

Re: Tip Installation

How about going straight to the Talisman web site for help?

I went to the web site as per your suggestion. I don't have a lathe, and I don't mean to sound nieve but what do I use to trim it down. And how do I trim it? Top to bottom, or carve it off from the side? As I stated in my original post, I never replaced a tip bigger than the shaft before. I know how to get the right shape, it's matching it to the ferrel.

I had the same question. I wound up using the Porper little shaver to trim the sides down, works ok if the blade is sharp and you are very careful. Most people will hold the tip on a flat surface and trim the tip from rear to top with a sharp knife but I was afraid that would "delaminate" the tip.

Also do not use the tips shapers with the grit in a shaped hole, those things can ruin a layered tip.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr>Most people will hold the tip on a flat surface and trim the tip from rear to top with a sharp knife but I was afraid that would "delaminate" the tip.<hr /></blockquote>
    Hold the shaft, with the tip pointing down against a cutting board. Use a razor knife and trim the tip down the best you can. You can hold the blade flat against the side of the ferrule and slowly cut downward. Take your time and be very careful. Finish it off with some sand paper, being careful not to damage your ferrule and burnish.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr>Also do not use the tips shapers with the grit in a shaped hole, those things can ruin a layered tip. <hr /></blockquote>
    Roy, I use one of these shapers all of the time. I take my time and slowly shape the tip. I think the trick is to go slowly and do not generate any heat. JMHO.

Hi Rich,

Some of these Talisman WB tips seem to "delaminate" rather easily and as Eightonabreak says, they aren't cheap so I try to be as cautious as possible with them.

One problem with shaping them is the top layer seems to tear off rather easily. I use a file and file from the center to the outside, not too difficult because you can see the circles and keep things even.

I wouldn't bother with all this except the WB tip lasts a long time, holds chalk very well, and doesn't mushroom or pack down.