Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: plz help me select a cue within $80-$120

plz help me select a cue within $80-$120

Hi everyone, I am kinda new to this forum but I have been playing pool for quite some time now. I am tired of this wal-mart graphite cue which I have been using since last 2 years. Now I am looking for a cue within $80-$120 probably a used Lucasi, players or McDermott. Can I post some links from ebay over here to see what kinda opinion I get from you folks on the cue.

Re: plz help me select a cue within $80-$120

If your main interest is what the cue looks like on the butt or the name of the cue maker, then go with what looks best to you or has the most impressive name written on it.

If however you are a serious player, then I would spend a lot of time trying out different weight cues (18oz 19oz, 20oz, etc.), different taper on shaft (euro taper, pro taper), wrap on butt or no wrap, cues with different diameter sizes at the tip (11mm, 12mm, 13mm, etc.), different joints,
    http://www.predatorcues.com/english/jointtypes.htm
    different brands of tips (Tiger, Moori, Le Pro, etc.), different hardness of tips (soft, medium, hard), and different tip radius (quarter, nickel, dime). Also be aware that there are low deflection shafts available...
    https://www.platinumbilliards.com/rating_deflect.php

The decide on a certain specification of cue and stick with that. Also be aware that some cues come with a "weight bolt" and the weight can be changed somewhat. A few internet sites let you choose the exact cue you want or when ordering direct from a manufacturer, you can get a specific cue. Here is a sample of an internet site which lets you select the exact cue you want...
    (Scroll down half way to custom order...)
    http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cue...iking_vm40.htm
    I have no financial interest in any billiard related businesses or schools.

You might be able to get a new low end McDermott on eBay for $120 from a dealer - the best warranty in the business.

You should certainly be able to get a good used McDermott, Players or Viking for that.

You can pick from several new Players and a few Lucasis for $120. Also, the low end Viking $120 cue another poster linked to is a good choice because you can order different tip sizes for free.

Good luck.

Billy Bob,
    I can see now what you are trying to tell me.
    I see myself as a D+ player trying to get to C+ or B- range.
    I can make all the basic shots in the game but I can't control the cue ball. It seems like the cue ball stops at will and then I have to find a way to make the next shot which is next impossible. I also wanna learn how to apply english and use it effectively in a game which seems impossible to do right now. Whenever I try to apply english, I miss the Object Ball.
    Predator seems to have a healthy lead over all the shafts. I definitely get myself a predator after I save some cash [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
    And I will make sure I try it first befor ebuying anything [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    REgulator thanks for your advice but it seems to me that $120 Lucasi or players is not gonna bring my game to anther level. I also need some help with my stroke. I am using closed bridge since last two months. Before that I was using open bridge and missing many shots.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Anonymous:</font><hr>...I can make all the basic shots in the game but I can't control the cue ball....<hr /></blockquote>

Well that was (is) the same problem I was having! (Along with everyone else.)

The problem with using english is long shots and something called cue ball deflection or "squirt".

Test: Aim just the cue ball at the far center diamond and hit it there 5 or 10 times in a row. Next do the same, but with left english each time. Notice how the ball no longer hits the center diamond, but is off by a little.

This is a BIG problem with using english. And another thing is that different cues will "deflect" the cue ball differently!

You can learn to adjust for each shot, or use a low deflection shaft. Either way, this is why it is so important to *always* use the same exact cue. Then when you learn to aim using english, you will always be playing with the same cue which deflects the cue ball the same amount.

Next is speed control. Always having the same weight cue will go a long way toward learning to judge how hard to hit the ball. Anyway VERY important to always play with the same weight cue.

So the first thing to do toward getting to be consistent is to experiment with different cues, then settle on one exact specification of cue. Then it will take two months to get adjusted to the new cue. Then after that, ask [here] what to do next...

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Anonymous:</font><hr>...I also need some help with my stroke. I am using closed bridge since last two months. Before that I was using open bridge and missing many shots... <hr /></blockquote>

So far as stroke goes, it is best to have someone else watch you - or videotape yourself and see what you are doing/not doing.

Someone told me that my elbow can only pivot one way, but that my shoulder can pivot many ways. Some of the better players in my area leave their upper arm UP while shooting and don't let it budge an inch downward when stroking. I guess then that they are only using their elbow and it can only go forwards and backwards - not sideways. Something to think about.

So far as bridges go, the idea is to provide a firm base for your shaft. Other than that, who cares? So just do what is most comfortable for you at this point and do what works best.

I have learned to use both open and closed bridges. I prefer open bridges because I can "see" better. But I feel that a closed bridge is better with hard follow or draw shots. The closed bridges in these cases not only keep the shaft from moving left/right, but also from moving up/down.

And so far as how to place your fingers, do what is most comfortable for you. So long as you have a steady base, it is doing the job. Here are some suggested bridges...
    http://www.freepoollessons.com/lesso.../bridges.shtml

Mali makes a very good hitting cue in that price range...sid
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!"

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Anonymous:</font><hr> Predator seems to have a healthy lead over all the shafts. <hr /></blockquote>
    Don't believe all of the hype. There are plenty of cue makers making cues that are far better than the Predator. You just have to find the one that you like best.

I might add that there are players who can shoot very well using english and do not have a low deflection shaft. But they have learned to use the cue they have.

If someone has 20 years experience using a regular cue, then switches to a low deflection shaft, they frequently have trouble.

However if someone is new to the game, then they might find a low deflection shaft easier to use. But then if they played using a low deflection shaft for 5 years, then switched to a regular cue, they would have problems.

It is *switching* cues, tips, etc. which causes trouble. Best to select which type of cue you want, then stick with that forever...

It all depends on what u feel comfortable with. Adams,Helmstetter,Mali,etc. make a ok cue for around $100.00. As far learning how to move the cue ball. Start off with some books like 99 crtical shots in pool,Burns first book. Good luck