Thread: Brunswick or Connelly???

Brunswick or Connelly???

I have been searching for a decent quality pool table for my home and family (3 children - 10, 8, and 6) for what seems like forever. I fully understand that "you get what you pay for," but I do not want to pay and arm and a leg for bells and whistles that I don't need. After searching every local retailer that I can find in the Atlanta area, I have narrowed my search down to two manufacturers - Brunswick and Connelly. Can anyone help me decide between these two???
    I would LOVE to stay around $2000 - $2500 but I would be willing spend as much as $3500 if I really felt it was worth it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    John [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Brunswick or Connelly???

I bought a new table that was solid wood, not veneer (Beach Mfg).

I think Brunswick and Connelly both make good tables. I'm a bit more partial to Connelly due to perceived quality at the lower price points. I went with Beach because they were local and I'd seen a few around the area.

One thing I looked for were the guts of the table 'exactly' the same up and down the line. If the table is at the low end of their line, are the slate, support system and rails the same as their $8,000 table? If not, their reputation at the higher end means nothing for their lower end.

Since the real cost of a table beyond the guts is the 'furniture' part, why do some manufacturers try to save $200 on crappy components. I know both companies offer different slate thicknesses at different price points, but I don't know about the rest.

I'm assuming you want new based on your search of the retailers. Pick the table that has the right look and best factory warranty. Discounts from list should be 20% to 40%. Minimum balls should be Aramith Premier, maybe Premium. Pay for Simoniz 860 and don't let anyone put food or drink within 5' of the table - I've had wild parties and the table is spotless because I have places to put drinks along the walls.

If the table isn't going to be in a 'showplace' location, why not find a $1,000 good used table. The kids and their friends with be scratching it up. Call around to all the setup guys in you area and/or ask the pool halls if they know of available tables.

Good luck.