Thread: english

english

is english only used when the cue ball is going to hit a rail? or is english effective while hitting the object ball aswell?

Re: english

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote likwid:</font><hr> is english only used when the cue ball is going to hit a rail? or is english effective while hitting the object ball aswell? <hr /></blockquote>
    English will have an effect on almost all shots. Sometimes the effect is good and sometimes the effect is bad.

Mostly I only use english when the cue ball is going to hit a rail after contacting the object ball, and I want to change the direction the cue ball will go after hitting the rail. It is quite a chore to just learn this!

Note that with a kick shot, the cue ball is hitting the rail first, so english can be used to alter the direction...
    I have no financial interest in any billiard related businesses or schools.

With a level cue, sidespin (English) is used to alter the cue-ball path when it hits a rail. With an elevated cue the cue ball can be made to curve (masse). There is some transfer of spin (if the balls are NOT polished or clean) that may or may not be useful, and there is little or no useful throw of the object ball as a result of sidespin on the cue-ball. See Koehler's "Science of Pocket Billiards" or search the archives here for related comments by Bob Jewett or Dr.Dave Alciatore. Side spin can also be used to speed up or slow down the cue-ball when it contacts the rail, with the change in direction being the secondary objective or a non-relevant issue for the shot in question.

Good luck and have fun!

Carl

Carl Oswald
    BCA Master Instructor
    SPF Family of Instructors
    http://www.billiardstudio.com
    http://www.poolschool.info

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote likwid:</font><hr> is english only used when the cue ball is going to hit a rail? or is english effective while hitting the object ball aswell? <hr /></blockquote>

I'm just starting out, but I used "object ball throw" or "throw English" to affect the object ball. I had two shots that were aligned right of the pocket, so I used right English to throw the object ball back towards the pocket (left). It worked beautifully and I made both. I was still allowed to aim at the center of the object ball, too, as the throw made the ball go left. Maybe 10 degrees or a bit less?
    --
    Erik J. Barzeski
    Billiards Drills .com

Using spin to throw a ball any useful amount is almost impossible, thoroughly unpredictable, and often a mislabel assigned to a squirt and/or masse related behavior. If you are interested in accurate information, you can find plenty of discussion threads in the CCB archives. Pay special attention to anything posted by Bob Jewett or Dr.Dave Alciatore, both of whom have years of study in physical behavior from a science background. Dr.Dave has a web site related to his 'The Illustrated Principles of Pool and Billiards' and Bob is an Advanced Instructor at the San Fransisco Billiard Academy.

Good luck and have fun!

Carl

Carl Oswald
    BCA Master Instructor
    SPF Family of Instructors
    http://www.billiardstudio.com
    http://www.poolschool.info

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote caedos:</font><hr> Using spin to throw a ball any useful amount is almost impossible, thoroughly unpredictable, and often a mislabel assigned to a squirt and/or masse related behavior....<hr /></blockquote>Sorry Caedos, but on a stun shot sidespin can throw the object ball up to almost six degrees off of its line between centers direction, more if the surfaces are unusually rough. This is about six inches of sideways travel for every cue length of forward movement. And the amount of throw you get for various amounts of sidespin is quite predictable, although it's complicated enough that it might seem to be a random phenomenon to anyone who hasn't made a study of it, which, I'll agree, would probably include just about everyone whose ever played the game.

Although mainly used to control angle and speed off the cushion, there are other useful applications of sidespin, several of which have been mentioned by you. Another one is moving the cueball farther down the tangent line after impact by using inside english to gain an angle on an otherwise straight in shot. Or alternately, using outside english to decrease a cut angle and thus slow the cueball's post impact speed. These techniques are effective only when the balls are fairly close together, less than a foot apart.

One fairly common situation where throw is useful is when you can't cut a ball enough (or too much) because of interfering balls. Sidespin may allow you to adjust the object ball's direction just enough to pot it.

Jim

Here is one of the things you can do with english,

I didnt explain it that well, but this might give you a idea of what you can do, by creating spins, to manipulate the ball and curves to hit certain spots.

[image]http://img37.imageshack.us/my.php?image=english5by.jpg[/image]