Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9-ball rule

9-ball rule

This happened in a tourn. last week. Player A was shooting at the 2 ball, he shot and missed the pocket, his cue hit the 6 ball which started rolling, the 2 ball came back across the table and hit the 6 interferring with the 2 ball path. Player B call a foul.. After a timeout, play resumed, T.O. determined that it was not a foul and the match went on.Anybody have any thoughts on this???

Re: 9-ball rule

I can't locate the rule in the on-line BCA Rules, but here is a copy from www.texasexpress.com --- it's a foul.

6.0-15 TOUCHING OR MOVING NUMBERED BALLS (DURING THE SHOT)

IF A PLAYER MOVES A SINGLE NUMBERED BALL DURING A SHOT AND THE MOVED BALL INTERFERES WITH A LEGALLY STRUCK NUMBERED BALL OR THE CUE BALL, IT IS A FOUL. IF THE GENERAL AREA VACATED BY THE MOVED NUMBERED BALL COULD HAVE HAD AN
    OUTCOME ON THE SHOT (BY A LEGALLY STRUCK NUMBERED BALL, THE CUE BALL OR THE PATH OF EITHER OR BOTH), IT IS A FOUL. THE OPPONENT HAS THE OPTION TO REPLACE THE MOVED NUMBERED BALL TO ITS ORIGINAL POSITION OR LEAVE IN THE MOVED POSITION
    (LEAVE LIE). ANYTIME TWO OR MORE NUMBERED BALLS ARE MOVED DURING THE SHOT (OR IF THE SINGLE NUMBERED BALL THAT WAS MOVED CONTACTS ANOTHER NUMBERED BALL), IT IS AN AUTOMATIC FOUL AND THE OPPONENT HAS THE OPTION TO REPLACE (ALL MOVED
    BALLS ONLY) IN THEIR ORIGINAL POSITION OR LEAVE IN THE MOVED POSITION (LEAVE LIE). THE BALLS MAY NEVER BE REPLACED BY THE SHOOTER WITHOUT PERMISSION BY THE OPPONENT, OR IT IS A FOUL. IF A FOUL OCCURS, THE OPPONENT RECEIVES CUE BALL IN HAND.

Thanks Troy for your input and clarifing this. The bca rule is not very clear on this.
    Dave in ohio

bca 1.16.1 'cue ball fouls only'...pretty clearly describes this case and says it is a foul. bad t.d. needs to buy a book.

dan

Dan... I thought it should be there some place but I couldn't find it in the on-line BCA Rules. Did you find 1.16 on line ??? If so, where ???

Thanks,
    Troy

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: houstondan:</font><hr> bca 1.16.1 'cue ball fouls only'...pretty clearly describes this case and says it is a foul. bad t.d. needs to buy a book.

dan <hr></blockquote>

Did you find 1.16 on line ??? If so, where ???

nope, i cheated and bought the book. since i do my bca membership directly i get the new book and a bag of junk each year instead of just the little book they give out for league players. it's in the 'rules for tournament play' section.

dan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: houstondan:</font><hr>

nope, i cheated

dan

<hr></blockquote>

Oh, the shame of it..... [img]/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Yes, IMO this is a foul because of interfering in the path of the ob. I know for a fact that most T.O.'s agree or side with the shooter at bat. I also think it may have been only cb fouls mix up.
    The other thing I question is, why not atleast sign your name to the post? Atleast we'll not feel so used.
    C.C.

Thanks C.C., I'm new at this,1st time actually. After I posted, I realized I didn't sign it.
    Dave in Ohio

That is a foul