Thread: Problems with break..

Problems with break..

Hello, I have the following problem when i break the 8-ball rack - a lot of times when i break my cue ball jumps off the table.. what is the problem with my shot??

Re: Problems with break..

If you are "shooting down" on the cue ball, it will become airborn, then hit the top of a ball in the rack and fly off the table.

Try using breaking with your cue more level.
    I have no financial interest in any billiard related businesses or schools.

I agree with Billy-bob. Another thing, make sure you are hitting the head ball solid. It is more important (IMO) to hit the head ball solid, and follow through, vs hitting the rack hard. If you hit the head ball solid, and follow through the stroke with your cue, the balls will scatter more than if you hit the head ball a glancing blow hard. In addition when you hit the head ball solid, you don't have the cue ball running all over the table. It is a much more contolled break.
    play hard,play smart

thanks. it seems to me that my problem could indeed be the fact that i tend to hit the cue ball too low..i am trying to hit the head ball in the rack as solid as i can, but for some reason i also have habit to hit the cue ball low, as when drawing back.. thanks again, will try your suggestions today..

It is not hitting the cue ball low (unless you are scooping it) which is the problem. But not hitting with a level cue. Hitting the cue ball with the cue stick pointing in a downward direction is what makes the ball jump off the table slightly.

If you have a video camera, try recording your breaks and playing back in slow motion. Shoot a close up of the rack from the side.

I have no financial interest in any billiard related businesses or schools.