Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World Straight Pool Championships :MAY 30-JUNE 4 ,

World Straight Pool Championships :MAY 30-JUNE 4 ,

Hello Straight Pool Fans-
    Just a reminder that the new dates for World Straight Pool Championships is
    MAY 30-JUNE 4 , 2006

It will still be held in the NY/NJ region of the country.

The invitational field is full with only the qualifier spots left for availability.
    We will announce the field of players in upcoming press releases.

But for a sneak preview, there is roughly 25 USA players invited and about 25 international invitees.
    This includes players such as:

Rodney Morris
    Charlie Williams

Legends:
    Nick Varner
    Allen Hopkins
    Dallas West

Guys we havent heard from in awhile:
    Jimmy Mataya

NJ/NY heroes:
    Tony Robles
    George San Souci
    Jose Garcia

European Stars:
    Thorsten Hohmann (Germany)
    Mika Immonen (Finland)
    Niels Feijen (Holland)

Asian Stars:
    Young Hwa Jeong(Korea)
    Marlon Manalo(Philippines)

and many more...!

Spread the word because we expect this to be a sold out event from the response we've gotten thus far!
    We will keep you all posted on this mailout and feel free to pass on this email address to those who may want to watch, play in qualifiers, or host a qualifier.
    email at : worldstraightpoolchampionships@gmail.com

Thanks
    Dragon Promotions
    www.dragonpromotions.com

Re: World Straight Pool Championships :MAY 30-JUNE 4 ,

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote koreandragon:</font><hr>Spread the word because we expect this to be a sold out event from the response we've gotten thus far!
    <hr /></blockquote>
    How the heck can you expect a "sold out event", when you can't even tell us where it will be held? [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Re: World Straight Pool Championships :MAY 30-JUNE

Hey Rich- Crazy huh? and it's been delayed once already.

I vote for Comet but they need to make it a lil more spectator friendly. Put a second row of high backs behind the counter seats they have now and have some kind of seating on the side(s)

Comet is close enough to NYC yet far enough so the hotels are affordable.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostroke:</font><hr> Hey Rich- Crazy huh? and it's been delayed once already.

I vote for Comet but they need to make it a lil more spectator friendly. Put a second row of high backs behind the counter seats they have now and have some kind of seating on the side(s)

Comet is close enough to NYC yet far enough so the hotels are affordable. <hr /></blockquote>Hi Dave.
    Maybe it is just my opinion, but I don't believe any "World Championship" event should be held in a working pool room. They are not spectator friendly and there is not enough quality seating. Usually, it is more like standing room only. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

As long as CW, Dragon Promotions and the UPA continue to stage events in local pool rooms, their events will continue to be second class. JMHO

BTW Dave, I hope your enjoying some warm weather in Florida. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

It's a tough call Rich-There have been a few gallant efforts outside of Pool Halls with pretty sad results. There was no bigger flop than the "Tournament in a Mall" and Grand Central didnt draw flies. i heard but not sure they paid $60K in rent for it. And Blatts did the Roseland Ballroom Tourn a ways back and havent had an event since. If they had come close to breaking even, they would have done another im sure.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostroke:</font><hr> It's a tough call Rich-There have been a few gallant efforts outside of Pool Halls with pretty sad results. There was no bigger flop than the "Tournament in a Mall" and Grand Central didnt draw flies. i heard but not sure they paid $60K in rent for it. And Blatts did the Roseland Ballroom Tourn a ways back and havent had an event since. If they had come close to breaking even, they would have done another im sure. <hr /></blockquote>
    Dave, I can understand the problems involved, believe me. But if they are going to advertise the event as a "World Championship", they have to go to the effort of making it a first class event. Otherwise, they should just call it the NYC Straight Pool Tournament.

IMHO, you can't have a World Championship in a pool room with, at best, 50 VIP seats and maybe standing room for 100 more people. For a World Championship, you need acceptable seating for AT LEAST 300+, split between VIP and General Admission. This is especially important for a straight pool tournament, where matches take some time and fans are expected to be fairly quiet and still for the benefit of the players.

They also need good quality, freshly covered, tables and good lighting. Although fairly simple, this is not always available, when holding an event in a working pool room.

CW, Dragon Promotions and the UPA have to take the time and the effort to obtain the proper sponsorship, if they want to put on world class events. They are very quick to criticize others and to put their hand out, but they have to do their own homework for an event like this.

Maybe I'm being a little harsh here, but, IMHO, if they are calling it a "World Championship" they have to do it right.

Good points all Rich. Given CW's view on what image needs to be conveyed for the betterment of pool, I am totally surprised by the invite of Jimmy Mataya. Go figure.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostroke:</font><hr> Good points all Rich. Given CW's view on what image needs to be conveyed for the betterment of pool, I am totally surprised by the invite of Jimmy Mataya. Go figure. <hr /></blockquote>
    CW doesn't have a clue. He is an egotistical wannabe.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostroke:</font><hr> Good points all Rich. Given CW's view on what image needs to be conveyed for the betterment of pool, I am totally surprised by the invite of Jimmy Mataya. Go figure. <hr /></blockquote>
    CW doesn't have a clue. He is an egotistical wannabe. <hr /></blockquote>

Nostroke Rich R,

What has happened to you? I used to have respect for you and your opinions. Charlie Williams a
    (Quote): “CW doesn't have a clue. He is an egotistical wannabe.” (Unquote) What kind of a statement is that Rich R. Nostroke Quote: “Given CW's view on what image needs to be conveyed for the betterment of pool, I am totally surprised by the invite of Jimmy Mataya. Go figure.”

I will start rebuttal by listing a small Group of Charlie’s playing and industrial pool credits and point out that you two have no creditability with me at all any longer.

Charlie Williams credits: Player representative Predator Products, Player representative Brunswick Billiards,
    CEO Dragon Promotions, Playing credentials: Korean International Champion, Florida State Champion, Finalist UPA Pittsburgh Tournament, 2002 BCA Champion, 1999, 2001 Florida Pro Tour Player Of The Year, 1991 BCA Junior National Champion, Mosconi Cup Winning Team Member, BCA Champion, Turning Stone Champion, Seoul Open Champion, Capital Classic Champion and Finalist, Shizoka Open Champion and Big Apple Challenge Champion.

CHARLIE WILLIAMS

Rich R I can’t do anything but dismiss your statement about Charlie as mean spirited and jealous.

Nostroke, I can’t believe you said what you did? The betterment of the sport. Everyone deserves at least one chance. Charlie gives Mr. Mataya a chance to play is no different than IPT giving Keith McCready a chance play. I applaud Charlie for it!

As you are so fond of typing Rich R IMO you add nothing to the game of pool except an old tired negative image. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

HarryDC

Harry- You missed my point- I didnt say I dont want Jimmy Mataya to have a chance and there is no one I'd rather watch play than Keith.

I said Given CW's views on the image projection necessary for the betterment of the sport, I am surprised he invited him. I know CW's views on this for certain unless he has flip-flopped recently.