Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie rules question

Newbie rules question

We just got our first pool table and are playing some 8 and 9 ball, just for practice, based on rules we think we remembered years ago. I plan to study the current rules in detail,, but I have some practical questions...

For example in 9-ball .

1) If on the break, I sink one or more object balls (not the 1 or 9 ), do I continue play attempting to pocket the next highest ball on the table?

2) If I hit the object ball, say a 2-ball, and then 5 balls drop in on the same shot, are these fouls? If yes, are both pocketed balls respotted?

3) If the 2-ball and 5-balls are pocketed on the same shot, but the 2-ball is not hit first, this is a foul, correct? Are both respotted?

4) If both object ball and cue ball are pocketed, is the object ball respotted , or do you just lose your turn to the next player who then has ball in hand?

In 8-ball...

1) If on the break a solid ball is pocketed followed by a striped, is that a foul? Are any balls respotted?

2) If I pocket a solid ball, bur then the cue ball is pocketed, this is a foul, but is the object ball respotted ?

3) If I pocket a solid ball, bur then another striped ball is pocketed, are all pocket balls respotted?

General...

Is there a web link that has the complete set of January 2006 rules???

Thanks

Marvin

Re: Newbie rules question

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MarvinG:</font><hr> We just got our first pool table and are playing some 8 and 9 ball, just for practice, based on rules we think we remembered years ago. I plan to study the current rules in detail,, but I have some practical questions...

<font color="red">There are different rules from different organizations, but I will try to answer your questions. </font color>

For example in 9-ball .

1) If on the break, I sink one or more object balls (not the 1 or 9 ), do I continue play attempting to pocket the next highest ball on the table?
    <font color="red">You continue to play and shoot at the lowest numbered ball on the table. </font color>

2) If I hit the object ball, say a 2-ball, and then 5 balls drop in on the same shot, are these fouls? If yes, are both pocketed balls respotted?
    <font color="red"> As long as the cue ball hits the lowest numbered ball on the table first, there is no foul and all pocketed balls are good. You continue to shoot. </font color>

3) If the 2-ball and 5-balls are pocketed on the same shot, but the 2-ball is not hit first, this is a foul, correct? Are both respotted?
    <font color="red">If the 2-ball is the lowest numbered ball on the table and it was not hit first, it is a bad hit. However, all pocketed balls stay down, except the 9-ball, and your opponent gets ball in hand, anywhere on the table. </font color>

4) If both object ball and cue ball are pocketed, is the object ball respotted , or do you just lose your turn to the next player who then has ball in hand?
    <font color="red">If the cue ball is pocketed, that is a scratch foul. All other pocketed balls stay down, except the 9-ball, and your opponent gets ball in hand anywhere on the table. </font color>

In 8-ball...

1) If on the break a solid ball is pocketed followed by a striped, is that a foul? Are any balls respotted?
    <font color="red"> Both balls stay down and the shooter still has his choice of groups. </font color>

2) If I pocket a solid ball, bur then the cue ball is pocketed, this is a foul, but is the object ball respotted ?
    <font color="red">The object ball stays down. </font color>

3) If I pocket a solid ball, bur then another striped ball is pocketed, are all pocket balls respotted?
    <font color="red">Assuming your group of balls are the solids, and you hit the solid ball first, all balls stay down and you continue to shoot. </font color>

General...

Is there a web link that has the complete set of January 2006 rules???

Thanks

Marvin <hr /></blockquote>
    <font color="red">Marvin, there are several different sets of rules and they do differ a little. The answers I gave to your questions are fairly standard in all sets of official rules. However, local rules, especially bar rules, can vary greatly.
    For one set of official rules, you can use the link below and click on "Game Rules".
    http://www.bca-pool.com/play/ </font color>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <font color="red">There are different rules from different organizations, but I will try to answer your questions. </font color> <hr /></blockquote>Because you are a kind, giving and patient man. Thank you.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

I guess the simplified general rule is that anything pocketed never gets spotted unless its a) the cue ball, b) the 8-ball when playing 8-ball c) the 9-ball when playing 9-ball or d) the specific game requires it.

Still looking for a Jan 2006 complete printable version of rules (would like to make a poster for the pool room!) ... but haven't been able to find a file on line. There is a 2006 web version for each of sections 3, 4, 5 and 6 at http://www.bca-pool.com/, but no single complete copy. There is single complete copym sections 1 to 7, at http://www.wpa-pool.com/index.asp?content=rules but these are not updated for 2006. So, for now I took the latter and manually updated it with their list of changes for 2006. Turns out if you play with the fonts and columns, you can print in on 4 tabloid sheets , which fits into a 24 x 36 size poster frame! Gonna try it out tonight and see what it looks like. Will share the file with anyone crazy enough to want this!

Thanks again.

Marvin

to add to the topic....anything respoted is placed where it was? or on the foot spot? or wherever?
    Thanks,
    Jay

Per WPA rules....

3.32 SPOTTING BALLS

When specific game rules call for spotting balls, they shall be replaced on the table on the long string after the stroke is complete. A single ball is placed on the foot spot; if more than one ball is to be spotted, they are placed on the long string in ascending numerical order, beginning on the foot spot and advancing toward the foot rail. When balls on or near the foot spot or long string interfere with the spotting of balls, the balls to be spotted are placed on the long string as close as possible to the foot spot without moving the interfering balls. Spotted balls are to be placed as close as possible or frozen (at the referee's discretion) to such interfering balls, except when the cue ball is interfering; balls to be spotted against the cue ball are placed as close as possible without being frozen. If there is insufficient room on the long string between the foot spot and the foot rail cushion for balls that must be spotted, such balls are then placed on the extension of the long string "in front" of the foot spot (between the foot spot and the center spot), as near as possible to the foot spot and in the same numerical order as if they were spotted "behind" the foot spot (lowest numbered ball closest to the foot spot).

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Because you are a kind, giving and patient man. Thank you. <hr /></blockquote>
    [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I don't deserve that, but, you are very welcome. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Continuing along the basics-for-dummies...

1) In 9-ball, if you sink the 9-ball on the break, with or without sinking other numbered balls, do you automatically win the game?

2) In 9-ball, if only the 8 and 9 are left, and you hit the 8 and sink both the 8 and 9 in a single shot, do you win the game if the 8 falls in before the 9?? Is it a foul if the 9 drops before the 8?

3) In 8-ball, do you ever automatically lose the game when if you sink the 8-ball during the game?? I gather - no, it's just a foul and the 8-ball is respotted..

Thanks.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MarvinG:</font><hr> Continuing along the basics-for-dummies...

1) In 9-ball, if you sink the 9-ball on the break, with or without sinking other numbered balls, do you automatically win the game?
    <font color="red">Yes, assuming you had a good hit on the one ball, to break the rack. </font color>

2) In 9-ball, if only the 8 and 9 are left, and you hit the 8 and sink both the 8 and 9 in a single shot, do you win the game if the 8 falls in before the 9?? Is it a foul if the 9 drops before the 8?
    <font color="red">As long as you have a good hit on the 8 ball, you win the game if the 9 ball is pocketed. It doesn't matter which ball goes into the pocket first or if the 8 ball is pocketed at all. </font color>

3) In 8-ball, do you ever automatically lose the game when if you sink the 8-ball during the game?? I gather - no, it's just a foul and the 8-ball is respotted..
    <font color="red">This is a point where there are many differences, depending on what set of rules you are playing by. To the best of my knowledge, most sets of rules say, if you pocket the 8-ball early, you lose the game. </font color>
    Thanks. <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks again. Hadn't realized about it not mattering "if the 8 ball is pocketed at all." when just the 8 and 9 are left. So how far does one take the argument. If 7/8/9 are left, and I strike the 7, and sink the 9, do I win?

I contacted the WPA and they sent me an updated word file with the complete 2006 WPA rules...and indicated they would update the version on thier web.

Marvin