Thread: Yet another 8 ball question...

Yet another 8 ball question...

Is there a rule of thumb about combination shots in 8 ball? In some places (and we're talking bars here, not pool halls.) combos are OK using the other players side (solid/stripes), while most of the places I've played have a strict "you cannot use the other players ball in a combo" rule. I realize that there are as many sets of rules as there are bars, but what is the concensus?

As I read the rules... All you need do is call the ball and the pocket. Other than that the rule book doesn't care how that ball gets into that pocket. Am I reading that rule too naively?

Thanks!

Re: Yet another 8 ball question...

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TimFXF:</font><hr> Is there a rule of thumb about combination shots in 8 ball? In some places (and we're talking bars here, not pool halls.) combos are OK using the other players side (solid/stripes), while most of the places I've played have a strict "you cannot use the other players ball in a combo" rule. I realize that there are as many sets of rules as there are bars, but what is the concensus?

As I read the rules... All you need do is call the ball and the pocket. Other than that the rule book doesn't care how that ball gets into that pocket. Am I reading that rule too naively?

Thanks! <hr /></blockquote>
    In a couple sets of "official" rules, you can use the other players ball in a combination, however, you still have to hit your ball first.

For example, if you have the striped group, you can hit a striped ball into a solid ball and if the solid ball then hits a striped ball into the pocket, you are legal.

You can never hit the 8-ball first, in a combination, but it can be used as the middle ball in the example above.

When the table is open (neither player has established a group of balls) you can shoot any combination, except one in which you would hit the 8-ball first.

Hope this helps.

Other than an open table with BCA rules, you must hit your ball first.

I avoid combo shots if possible. These are a lower percentage shot - more likely to be missed. Depending on the combo, some can be almost impossible to make.

Also where will the first ball in the combo shot go after the hit? Where will the cue ball go after the hit? Will you have another shot after shooting a combo? Too many things to go wrong!

It is more safe to shoot the first ball in, then leave the CB so you can then make the other ball. This is higher percentage and you have better control of what goes where after the hit(s).

Avoid combos if you can. But also practice combos until you are blue in the face. Do a progressive practice with the balls different distances from each other. And different distances from the pocket. Also with the ball closest to the pocket frozen to a rail.

You will learn how to shoot combos, which combos are easy, which are difficult, and which are almost impossible. Also that if hit just right - right speed, you can shoot a combo and get both balls to fall into the pocket.

Then if you must shoot a combo, you will know how to do it right.
    I have no financial interest in any billiard related businesses or schools.

Thanks guys - that's very helpful. However I wish the BCA rules weren't so ambiguous... "4.15 COMBINATION SHOTS
    Combination shots are allowed; however, the 8-ball can't be used as a first ball in the combination unless it is the shooter's only remaining legal object ball on the table. Otherwise, should such contact occur on the 8-ball, it is a foul." It doesn't mention anything about hitting the other group.

I will generally shoot a single ball shot if I have the option, even if it's a hard shot. Most of the time the combos I use are pretty straight forward, or using an opponents ball to carom off of. I just took up the game, so I'm working more on developing a consistent stroke than anything else. But I do want to know the rules - so I can rub them in my buddies faces! [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

You can only use your opponents ball in a legal combination if you hit your ball first then hit the opponents ball. If you hit your opponents ball first. combination or not, it is a BIH foul.

Think of the situation where the opponents ball is blocking your ball and they are frozen together hanging in the pocket.

You can hit your ball first, calling it into that pocket, make your opponents ball and , if your ball falls, keep your turn at the table. If only your opponents ball is potted, you lose your turn, but there is not foul as you hit your ball first.

Same situation applies if you have no more balls in your group and are on the eight ball. You can use the eight ball as the first ball in a combination to make one of your opponents balls, but your turn ends if you do not call and pot the eight ball on the shot. No foul.