Thread: Toooo Much English

Toooo Much English

hi, im new to the forum, and just got into pool as a dedicated hobby(to give u an idea, i usually pocket all balls in 4-5 turns)

i notice when i have the cue about 12 inches from the object ball, and the object ball must go perfectly strait to make in the pocket, i can NEVER do it. if its a little crooked, i make them 9/10 times, but never strait. i think its my english? how do i "turn it off" im naturally doing it so i duno

also i noticed after a few beers, i play better ball, pocketing the objects in 1-2 turns, (maybe my nervousness, excited is calmed?) anyother ways /recomedations to calm myself down or something??

thanks all

Re: Toooo Much English

Your stroke will probably straighten out in time. You want to have as little movement as possible, so try swinging only the lower half of your arm(forearm). At least, do this up until you make contact with the cueball, after which it's okay to drop your elbow some. Prior to stroking, you want your shoulder, elbow and forearm all in the same plane aligned with the long axis of your cue. It would help to have a friend check this out as it's hard for you to see what you're doing.

Try to stroke as smoothly as possible, without jerking. It should almost feel as if your grip hand is there to merely guide the cue along. As such, it should be relaxed with only a few fingers actually in contact with it.

You can test your stroke by placing the cueball on a spot and then hitting it to the distant end cushion with the goal of having it come back and strike the tip of your cue. Placing a piece of chalk above the center of the end cushion to use as a target will help insure that the ball is moving perpendicular to it. The ball will only return to your tip when you've eliminated all sidespin. It's not that easy to do and so is a good gage of how close to centerball you're hitting.

Of course, it may be that your stroke is reasonably straight but that you're just not lining up to hit along the vertical center axis of the cueball in the first place. The above exercise will help you to correct this too, at least by providing feedback.

In the meantime, unless you really need to stop the cueball on a dime, it's a good idea to leave enough backspin or topspin on the cueball so that it rolls forward or back an inch or so after contact with the object ball. This reduces the throw from any unintentional sidespin considerably. In fact, it's a good idea to do this even after you've straightened out your stroke. Stop/stun shots produce maximum sideways throw, so why take a chance if you don't really need to.

As far as calming down, all I can say is take a few deep breaths, and enjoy.

Hope that helps.

Jim

First thing you want to do if this shot gives you a hard time is to stop doing right / left english completely. Spin English is like step 6 on your list of things to master.
    First you want to learn how to pocket balls that are 12 inches and almost straight in. Learn that first. then learn cut shots or angle shots. Then learn where the cue ball goes after each shot and with changing the speed of the shot to alter results.
    Then practice top and bottom english and shot selection and strategy. Then and only then when you can do all of this well do you want to start worrying about right and left english and its many nuances and secrets.

Its like trying to juggle 6 balls when you cant even juggle 3

you know what i do to get my stoke on balance, stroke the stick like you were shooting a ball, but into a bottleneck beer bottle. this will improve consistancy of your stroke and accuracy, if you can fluentally go in and out 50 times without touching the bottle at all, then your getting better, shoot for a higher number and you'll see improvement in cue handeling and weight balance in your stick.

but be easy, dont ram the stick into the bottle 50 times like its a friday night with a hot chick. nice and easy. and consistancy is the key. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]