Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What Are The Best Drills For Working On Position?

What Are The Best Drills For Working On Position?

What are the best or your favorite drills specifically for practicing getting shape? Not worrying too much about potting object balls for this excercise.

Do you have any special shots where you move whitey where whitey has never gone before, and amaze your friends and neighbors?

Do you prefer to get shape by using follow and draw alone rather than left/right English if possible, or are you a "spinner"?

You can use: http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html to illustrate if you like.

Re: What Are The Best Drills For Working On Position?

I am a believer in Bert Kinister's "60 minute workout". It is one of the best instructional videos I have ever used (don't just watch it USE it).
    This tape burns memory of feel in to your brain.

Drills are not good to practice, you only get better at those shots, in pool there are many different shots, so it would take a long time to practice all of them, this is why all the pros have practised so long to reach their level. But if there would come a new game, then they would need to learn new shots, and that would take a long time.
    If you would know what happens on every shot, then you learn to calculate new shots that you haven't done before and make them!
    I practice Rotation straight pool for a reason, because in that game you will get all kinds of shots.
    In 9-ball you never need to make kick shots with perfect position, because you have only 9 balls on the table and there is a big margin of error.

Patrick
    <font color="red">"The best players are the ones you will never see" - One</font color>

Hey What I do is go to www.easypooltutor.com/drills/shtml and look for some help there. Then practice over and over till you get sick of it.. Good luck

Patrick, where do you live?
    I will give you the 5 and the last two, not for money (well we can do that too) but for the priviledge to continue posting on this board. Race to 15, 10 ahead, I don't care, Oh wait, I think I remember you saying 9- ball is a game of luck (which you will definately need). OK fine we can play some One pocket and I'll spot you 10 to 6. No, too much thinking for you? OK Straight pool to 150 and I will spot you 50 points.
    You never post anything of value and are just a nuisance to everyone here, and for some reason you enjoy it. That, I am sorry for you.
    Drilling your a$$ on a pool table (made of wood, slate and felt, not that VP3 crap) I will have no feelings of ill remorse.

Try this. Break a nine ball rack. Take ball in hand. Find a piece of typing paper and place it where you want shape for the next object ball(The 2 Ball). Hopefully you will make the object ball(The 1 Ball) and land on the sheet of paper. IF NOT, Shoot the shot over until you do. When you execute the shot and land on the paper...Pull the paper, leaving the cue ball approx. where it was on the paper, and perform the same thing for the next object ball. After many many hours of practice and your feeling pretty good....CUT THE PIECE OF PAPER IN HALF. Good Luck. May your breaks be solid with shape.....Drake

Tom,
    Here is one for your 'wei' table program. Start with ball/in/hand. The object is to have the cue ball just go up and nudge whichever ball is in the center of the table. As that center ball gets moved around so the position shots of the rest of the drill change; not a boring drill. Let me know if this copying and pasting to the wei table works.

START(
    %Af5E1%Bp1V4%C\5N5%D\6H1%Ef5Y0%Fv5V2%Gv3H8%Hp6H9%I \6V0%JR9E4
    %KC2V3%LC2I1%MS2Y2%NI3V4%OI0I0%Pi8V5%eB9a4
    )END

My posts are the most valuable here.
    What is your iq?

Patrick
    <font color="red">"The best players are the ones you will never see" - One</font color>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Patrick:</font><hr> My posts are the most valuable here.
    What is your iq? Patrick <hr></blockquote>

I'm afraid I can't agree that your posts are always the most valuable, Pat....may I call you Pat..., or do you prefer Patrick? For instance, you've have not contributed any information specifically related to the subject of this post and at least four other posters have.

However, I personally find your posts amongst the most entertaining.

As far as my IQ, I'm afraid that's classified. I'm not at liberty to discuss it.

By the way, your looking good. Have you been working out?

Tom, if I practice any drill my intent is always to pocket
    the object ball and many times where it hits the pocket.
    You know that old saying, man I had perfect position, but
    the ball didn't go in. Needless to say whitey wouldn't
    end up where it did either. Anyway I have a number of
    drills or practice shots that I like to shoot.
    When I play position I use the natural angle, and no
    english if possible. Of course many times english is used
    to keep whitey away from the rail, change the rebound angle etc. I think many of us have amazing shots, I have a few
    my friends ask me to shoot, but never the neighbors.
    A touch draw shot, put a ball on the head spot, set the c/b
    6" away straight in, draw the c/b back between 4" to 6",
    re-spot the o/b, leave the c/b where it stops, repeat 10
    times. If you get out of line, start over. This drill really
    lets you know the value of where you hit the pocket, and
    the finess draw needed for a short distance.
    For follow, set up the same and alternate between the
    corner and the side pocket. You'll have to check the line there to see if it's straight. Here is 2 more, and I'll
    use the Wei, still a finess draw. Then shoot the same shot
    but use top right whitey will hit the rail past the side
    for position.
    START(
    %A[4B5%BI1N4%C`0I8%DS6D6%Eq8I3%F]8J8%GD5P0%HC0B5%IV6Z4%PM0V1
    %WC9D2%XO6[0%Yd2Q0%ZO9[2%eA8b4
    )END
    Then one last one, same angle but a different situation.
    START(
    %A[4B5%BI1N4%C`0I8%DS6D6%ED3I5%F]8J8%GV0Z1%HC0B5%IW4V9%PM0V1
    %WC9D2%XO6[0%YY0G5%ZO9[2%eC3b3
    )END
    Thats low right, and example of 3 different ways to play
    position on the same ball, from a straight in shot.
    Depending on a persons level of play, they may not want to
    shoot some of these, but they will come up during play.
    Here is one some friends really like, these balls are
    appx 1/8" apart, shoot in the 8 with low right, draw the
    c/b around the table, its tricky.
    START(
    %A[4B5%BB5C0%C[5\8%D[3B3%EB8C2%F[2\5%GB5[9%HP0X4%Ir3P6%PN5X1
    %Wm4[2%XH7W6%YF2C8%ZC0F8%[k8Y7%\G1C5%eC3b3%_C9G9%`L9Q4%aO0W7
    )END
    Really I do practice more normal shots and a few drills.

<span style="color: blue">be smooth; better control and power with less effort.</span>