Thread: pool table

pool table

Finally I am getting a pool table. I will be getting a slate table but I am putting it in my garage. It has awood burner in it and iam going to be putting electric baseboard heat in it also for the winter when im not in th garage. for the summer i plan on using a window ac unit to help keep it cool. Now onto my question. With what i am planning to do with my garage or already have done what are the chances of the table warping etc. im not worried about the slate obvioulsy just the other parts of the table either warping or otherwise. Any insight would be geratly appreciated. Thanks!!

Re: pool table

Any wood component will expand and contract as the temperature of the room changes. Slate is porous and will absorb moisture and possibly start sweating if the humidity isn't stable. Bottom line, if the temperature and humidity is consistant, you're okay. The changes in temp and humidity are what cause the problems as the materials contract and expand.

-Nick

Re: pool table

I agree with Nick. I tsounds like you will be able to keep the temp fairly consistent. A lot of people successfully convert garages in to pool rooms. Make sure the wood of the table is not actually touching concrete though. Also, during the summer, a dehumidifier may be beneficial.