Thread: Tournament Structure

Tournament Structure

Hi all,
    Instead of using qualifiers to earn a spot in a Nat'l or Pro event, why not use a Round Robin style format?
    This way any player that wants to pay the entry fee can play and have an opportunity to earn a spot in a 64 player round bracket.
    My theory is, start the tourney with the round robin divisions starting on thurs, (similar to the PGA) and finishing on Fri. Then on Sat the 64 player bracket can start with the spots being filled with players who have the best record from their respective divisions.
    I believe this format would allow a great experience for all players. Just imagine the opportunity for yourself to play multiple top ranked players (and possibly beating them) in one tournament. I also feel that this format will eliminate that "one bad match" played in a regional qualifier that results in the player not qualifying for the "Big Show".
    What are your opinions folks?

Re: Tournament Structure

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TheShot:</font><hr> Hi all,
    Instead of using qualifiers to earn a spot in a Nat'l or Pro event, why not use a Round Robin style format?
    <hr></blockquote>

The National 3-Cushion Championships just ended, and they were round-robin throughout. The prelims were five 9-player flights and the finals were one 12-player flight. Everyone got to play at least eight matches, and the eventual winner (Pedro Piedrabuena) had two losses in the finals, but still had the best record.

Why can't pool tournaments be like this? Not enough tables for the number of players, mostly. Also, it's a matter of time. The 3-C Nationals took six days, with 45 players on eight tables.

The WPA World Nine Ball Championships in Cardiff begin with 6-player round robins. Four of the six players advance to the final 64, which is played as single elimination. Of course, single elimination is a lousy way to determine who the best player is, but it is well suited to producing exciting, important matches for TV.

For the most part, pool is the US is played as double elimination. I think DE is a really lousy format, as I tried to convince people in a recent series of articles in BD -- The Magazine.

I agree with the theory on Round Robin Formats. BUT, Pool players don't make enough money yet. MANY of them would lose on purpose if they are out of contention....which changes the results.

&gt;&gt;&gt; The prelims were five 9-player flights and the finals were one 12-player flight. &lt;&lt;&lt;

Bob, were the players seeded into the five groups?