Thread: Dufferin fibre ferrule question

Dufferin fibre ferrule question

Does anyone know what type of glue is best to use for a Dufferin fibre ferrule? I have heard that the fibre ferrule (oil base) Dufferin use doesn't adhere well to most glues and that the tip keeps popping off. Are there any particular glue that would work on this type of fibre ferrule or should I just change the stock ferrule material?

Re: Dufferin fibre ferrule question

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> Does anyone know what type of glue is best to use for a Dufferin fibre ferrule? I have heard that the fibre ferrule (oil base) Dufferin use doesn't adhere well to most glues and that the tip keeps popping off. Are there any particular glue that would work on this type of fibre ferrule or should I just change the stock ferrule material? <hr></blockquote>

I repair house cues for a few pool rooms and have always had great success and complete confidence in DuroGel.

Troy...~~~ Payment not necessary for the advice.

"I have heard that the fibre ferrule (oil base) Dufferin use doesn't adhere well to most glues and that the tip keeps popping off."

I have never heard that the fiber ferrule is oil based. I doubt that this is true. I've used cyanoacrylates (super glues) with excellent results. However, I've also seen tips stay on house cues for years with plain old Tweeten's cement (when done right). The real problem with the fiber ferrules is not a compatability issue with the adhesives. Rather it is the fact that fiber ferrules swell or shrink with changes in relative humidity. And they move quite a bit! This eventually causes the ferrule to come loose from the tenon, and sometimes can cause the tip to loosen from the ferrule.

For house cues, just live with it. But for a better cue, try replacing the fiber ferrule with paper Micarta (available from Atlas Billiard supplies). You'll get a similar feel without the problems.

Tony

I've got 4 Dufferin Cues at the house &amp; all have no problems when I use Tweetens.