Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U.S.Open / ESPN 92'

U.S.Open / ESPN 92'

Does anyone remember when Tommy Kennedy won the Open against Johny Archer? First of all Tommy, came up to my father at the Trade show in 92' at the trade show. He said "Barry Behrman, Can I play in the Open"? My father was like who is this kid? Anyways, he entered the Open UN-seeded. He beat archer in the finals 9-2on ESPN. People were holding up signs, "Praise the Lord" "Tommys the Greatest" It was like going to a Football game. Tommy was running around the table jumping and laughing. TV loved it! It was truly "Made for TV". Anyways, I was just wanting to see who remebered it, and wanted to see what those who saw the match, thought of it. Grady, Do you remember? Those who havent seen it should talk to Pat Fleming with accustats about getting the vid.

Re: U.S.Open / ESPN 92'

Yea I remember , I've got it on tape. First time I saw it I was like whoa, I didn't know Martin Short was a pool player [img]/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] lol. I also believe he is a true model for all Pro's to follow. If pool had 64 players with the attitude of TK I believe a pro tour would flourish. JMHO

I remember Kennedy winning the Open but I can't recall details. What year was it?

I Agree!

Martin Short..lol

Tommy,Your the Greatest!

I think the score was 9 to 1. That was not the first time Tommy played in your dads tournaments was it? Tommy was well known to every top player and by that time had won dozens of tournaments. Although I don't think he has won any other pro events, he may be one of the winningist players ever.

I believe that was his first year at the Open

If I remember right he went hill hill with Rempy and Parica. He also went hill hill his first match with an unknown. In the final his cueball was all over the place, but he kept getting out. Archer missed some easy shots which gave Tommy an opening. He shot at everything. He shot one long rail bank that had the place on it's feet.

You got it! \
    Like I said before, That was "made for TV". There will probally never be such an exciting TV match like that again. Tommy has so mush enthusiasm. People who dont even like pool probally enjoyed watching that match.

I have that match on tape Brady. It is truly a classic match and probably Tommy's greatest accomplishment as a pool player. He got lucky a couple times but played some great pool nonetheless.

After seeing Johnny lose that one, it was sure nice for him to get his moment in the sun a couple years ago.

Mike
    This is a sample signature. Does it work?

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: AzHousePro:</font><hr> After seeing Johnny lose that one, it was sure nice for him to get his moment in the sun a couple years ago. <hr></blockquote>

I agree. Especially after also losing to Buddy Hall in the finals ('91?) on ESPN after Johnny was destined to win, with Buddy winning the last 5 games.

Fred
    <font color="blue">You cannot create experience. You must undergo it.</font color>