Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DEAD ZONE!

DEAD ZONE!

Has anyone in a tournament ever played well, then hit a total deadzone where you cannot make even the easiest shot? If so, how did you get out of it?
    Gayle from MD,Rich R. and Ken, I HAD A GREAT TIME WITH YOU ALL at the CAT tour in Maryland! Already I miss you guys-hey, how ya doin?ha ha ha ha!(Well Im just doing fine!)ha ha ha
    Carol~Cant wait for Valley Forge!

Re: DEAD ZONE!

I have been in that area where I am running out several racks during a match and then get to the next one and absolutely couldn't play safe/run two in a row. That was mostly sweating the player I was playing instead of playing the match.

Todd <--wishes he lived on the east coast, so he could watch you all play.

So Carol, does this mean that you didn't get to play Kelly Yomama today? Sounds like you needed to get roughed up some more.

Did you hear who won? I think Linda was the pick of the CAT litter and would be surprised if she didn't win.
    Ken

A mighty big airport you got there. Jake
    Old Jake

CarolNYC,
    If you don't mind me asking.... what was happening just before the dead zone shadow fell over you? Were you in the middle of a match, coming off a long break, were you watching other matches while you waited for your next match or doing some other notable thing?
    The C/mouse is curios so he probes [img]/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hey Carol, "How ya doin'"

You got home faster than me. We just left Champions at 10:00. The final match was still going on, Linda Shea was up 4 to 2 against Sueyen Rhee. We hated to leave, but 4 am comes very early in the morning. LOL.

Liz defeated Kelly O. for a second time to knock her out of the tournament. Unfortunately, Liz played Linda next and Linda did not make an error.

It was great meeting you and your family, as well as Gail and her husban, the Queen of Mean, Ken from Ct. and Dr. D.
    Dr. D. I'm ready for a rematch the next time we meet. [img]/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

We had a great weekend, meeting great people and watching some great pool at the Chesapeake Area Tour. We hope we can make it to more of their events. It was a class operation.
    Rich R.~~~loves to play and watch pool.

Carol I have a comforting thing to tell you.In the last 2 weeks I watched Karen Corr gamble with a good regional male player for a sizeable amount of money.First of all i want to say that I love her game and she is an awesome player but guess what?She totally hit the dead zone you are referring to in your post.She was playing 10 ball and her opponent had a huge break and is a very powerful player.Karen, although she is a great player,is not real powerful.The first set was real close early with both players playing great safes and grinding it out real well but soon the guys break clicked in and he put together several racks on her.Karen clearly couldnt do what this guy did with his world class break and guess what?She got unbelieveably weak.She lost three sets quite badly and played far under her normal speed.It was a real lesson for me to watch.The pressure of playing someone a little too overpowering for her made the very best woman player hit the total dead zone for 2 straight hours.She made so many uncharacteristic errors that she would never make if playing a player of lesser skills.The point of this long report on the match is that even the best players hit a dead zone,not just amateurs.How to overcome it?Put yourself under the heat again and again and have the courage and heart to fail and learn from your mistakes.Karen Corr has more heart than any woman I have ever seen cause she gets up and bangs heads with great players.I am sure that she will keep getting better and if she can develop some more power might even become as good as many top men players.I hope my post isnt too long or wordy for you but I am new to this and am really am quite a blabber mouth.Keep putting yourself in the heat and soon you will thrive in it and the dead zone will become the Carol Zone.Good luck!

Hi there,
    Thank you for that comforting tale! Wow,I just NEVER hit such a deadzone in a match and I mean, so brutal that ball in hand on the 8 and miss the 9! UGH UGH UGH!BRUTAL!I will remember your words and ONTO THE NEXT!
    Thank you!
    Carol

RICH,
    You and Kathy are the BEST! Thank you so much for your support while I was playing, that was great!Hope you can make it again May4-5- its the Maryland State Championship and the "Queen of Mean" must try to defend her title,ha ha ha-and my brothers 9-11-01 memory FDNY shirt says "The Nuthouse" (where I belong in,ha ha ha) with the twin towers,flag and the helmet Engine 214,Ladder 111 "Champions of Courage In the Eyes of the WORLD"-you and Kathy are gonna like it,I hope and play that number 214!Cant wait to be together again! Jim and I LOVE you guys!
    All our love always,
    Carol~next time give me a harder slap!ha ha ha!

Hi there,
    Excellent question!Just came off a match, ran into a few people and focused on "I have to beat this player" rather than just "Play my game!"You hit it on the nail!On to playing my game!
    Carol