Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scientist concerned about global COOLING!

Scientist concerned about global COOLING!

Read the sunspots
    The mud at the bottom of B.C. fjords reveals that solar output drives climate change - and that we should prepare now for dangerous global cooling

R. TIMOTHY PATTERSON, Financial Post
    Published: Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Story Tools
    -+ Change font size

Print this story

E-Mail this story
    Share This Story
    Facebook

Digg

Del.icio.us

More

In some fields the science is indeed "settled." For example, plate tectonics, once highly controversial, is now so well-established that we rarely see papers on the subject at all. But the science of global climate change is still in its infancy, with many thousands of papers published every year. In a 2003 poll conducted by German environmental researchers Dennis Bray and Hans von Storch, two-thirds of more than 530 climate scientists from 27 countries surveyed did not believe that "the current state of scientific knowledge is developed well enough to allow for a reasonable assessment of the effects of greenhouse gases." About half of those polled stated that the science of climate change was not sufficiently settled to pass the issue over to policymakers at all.

Solar scientists predict that, by 2020, the sun will be starting into its weakest Schwabe solar cycle of the past two centuries, likely leading to unusually cool conditions on Earth. Beginning to plan for adaptation to such a cool period, one which may continue well beyond one 11-year cycle, as did the Little Ice Age, should be a priority for governments. It is global cooling, not warming, that is the major climate threat to the world, especially Canada. As a country at the northern limit to agriculture in the world, it would take very little cooling to destroy much of our food crops, while a warming would only require that we adopt farming techniques practiced to the south of us.

Meantime, we need to continue research into this, the most complex field of science ever tackled, and immediately halt wasted expenditures on the King Canute-like task of "stopping climate change."

R. Timothy Patterson is professor and director of the Ottawa-Carleton Geoscience Centre, Department of Earth Sciences, Carleton University.

<1234 >
    Close

PBIA Professional Advanced Level Billiard Instructor

Re: Scientist concerned about global COOLING!

I saw a portion of Gore's movie a couple of days ago, and then last night saw some recent stuff about potential cooling and concerns, etc. because of the sun's inactivity from quite a few scientists and groups. They advocate that all the gases and mufflers, etc. in the world we can produce are completely insignficant to the sun's influence on our weather. Isn't it interesting? Time will tell and according to the soothsayers it will be too late....oh well!
    My one comment about Gore's movie...while the pretense of the movie is global warming, I did note that he managed to make much of the movie about himself and how wonderful he is now and always has been....he knew about global warming in the mid-70's...and how concerned he was as a young senator (with photo and movie close-ups), and how when he presented all this end of the world drama nobody in Congress seemed to care or wanted to listen to him.....poor, poor man! So brilliant, and so caring.... what a guy! He's a Nobel Prize winner yet he's still the "Rodney Daingerfield" of the political world...sorry Rodney...may you rest in peace.

Here's a link to the entire article if anyone is interested

http://www.financialpost.com/story.h...db11f4&p=1

Steve
    PBIA Professional Advanced Level Billiard Instructor

I think before the earth produces free ice cubes for your cocktails.....we might get some 6 degrees of separation, first....
    web page
    Don't fret about Gore's Nobel Prize...I hear GWB is being considered in two categories...economics and "The Art Of War"

You're still my write-in candidate Wolf!! I would suggest Deeman as your running mate....balanced ticket and all...

Sorry, I stopped reading Science fiction after Arthur Clarke decided that two suns were better then one (2010) but enjoyed his
    "Greetings, Carbon-Based Bipeds!"

[img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

You are aware that the show you refer to is a "WHAT IF" and not a prediction at all.

LWW

[ QUOTE ]
    I saw a portion of Gore's movie a couple of days ago, and then last night saw some recent stuff about potential cooling and concerns, etc. because of the sun's inactivity from quite a few scientists and groups. They advocate that all the gases and mufflers, etc. in the world we can produce are completely insignficant to the sun's influence on our weather. Isn't it interesting? <hr /></blockquote> The lefties are the only ones on this planet that have forgotten about the sun. The rest of us already knew this.

eg8r

AND you are aware of global warming?