Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I am getting glasses...reviews needed

I am getting glasses...reviews needed

Hello;
    I am getting progressive glasses bifocal is needed for close up to a arm length away. I see pretty good at distance but I have a minor correction there too.
    My Question is what type of glasses work well for pool. I dont want to always be pushing them up higher on my nose when I need to get down on a shot and look thru the top of them.
    I was looking at Silhouette 7626 brand with no frame around the lens and no hinge either. They seem to stay snug on my head but that was just at the store without my Rx in the lenses.

I have mono vision now and my left eye is the distant one these glasses will balance my vision which will take some time getting use to but I am ready.

Thank You for your ideas and comments.
    Bluey
    Oh I was so much older then....I am younger than that now!

Re: I am getting glasses...reviews needed

Look into these

Billiard Glasses

I don't have any experience with them, but I know of some past posts on AZ from people that have them. Their opinions were positive.
    "In search of the perfect stoke..."

I suggest playing with readers if you see OK at a distance.

A company named Decot used to make glasses with an adjustable bridge for pool players. I'm not sure if they still do them. I've known a couple of people who had them and they liked them a lot.

If the OP can possibly play pool without his glasses, that is what he should do. There is an optical shift between your eye and the lens that you have to correct for when wearing glasses.
    I wear bifocals and I play without them.

Have you thought about bifocal contacts? I have them and they work for me.

DG

How do Bifocal contacts work? I never heard of them.
    "In search of the perfect stoke..."

Somehow you look through the center for close up and through the outside for distance. I've had them for about a year. I have a stigma on my eye which makes it a little tougher to see up close, like less than 18 inches for me, things are a little distorted. Even without anything to drink. But for distance, I can see much better. Depending on what I'm doing at work, I still use reading glasses, as the writing is very small.

Dwayne, what you have must be a recent inovation in contacts. At one time, they would give you one contact for close up and the other one for distance. They said your brain would make the adjustment. A friend of mine got them and they absolutely drove him crazy and he couldn't see well at any distance. I'm happy to hear they have something better now.

Could be Rich. It's time for a check up on my eyes. I've had these for a year. I don't think I would have liked one of each kind of contact.
    Duane

I wore progressive tri-focal lens for many years and bought a pair of billiard glasses referred to by Tony in Md above. They cost about $250.00. I had my eyes examined for $50.00 bucks at Walmart and told the optometrist what I wanted the glasses for. She took .5 diopters off the prescriptions and I sent the script in. The glasses worked perfectly for me at the pool table. I really came to know the meaning of the word “cheaters” when I began to use them. I could see the table like a 16 year old kid (I am 68 now). I started wearing them about five years ago and never played without them though they looked a bit goofy.

This October I had cataract surgery on both eyes. My vision in my left eye went from about 20/30 (corrected) to 20/20 and I have 20/20 (corrected) in my right eye. It has been about three months and I am still getting used to the new tri-focal progressive implanted lens that the doctor placed in my eyes. I no longer wear glasses for anything.

However, I have been in a bad slump for about two months (since surgery) and only in the last few days has it occurred to me what has been going on.

My brain has for many years compensated for the poor vision in my left eye. I thought it best to learn to play with my eyes centered on the cue stick because my brain “knows” how to compensate. This has worked for me and my shot making ability was better than most of the people I play with.

With my “new” eyes my brain has continued to compensate for the poor left eye ability until it occurred to me (and my brain) a few days ago. It is difficult to explain but I have had to learn to place equal emphasis on both eyes. I am still not as consistent as I was but it is getting better. I have a tendency to relapse back to placing too much emphasis on the right eye unless I really concentrate on “seeing” equally well with both eyes. When I concentrate I can now play like I used to play. When my concentration lapses momentarily I often miss a relatively straight in shot.

In summary, I think the billiard glasses are very much worth while. However, I also think that you need to learn to get used to the improved vision and this may not be as easily accomplished as it may seem. It takes awhile for your brain (vision center) to get used to a modification.

Incidentally, the cataract surgery was also worthwhile. Though it is taking me a few months to get used to the improved visual acuity I am sure it will come in time if I continue to work at it. The use of our eyes for playing pool and the required enhanced acuity is not a subject that has been well studied. I think it is more complex than is usually discussed.

BTW a few years ago my eyes were changing and I had to get new glasses. The people at Sam's Club were quite helpful with the Billiard Glasses. I explained what they were and the perscription differences. They had new lenses made for my old frames for a nominal fee. If your eyes change later it is a simple matter to get new lens for the old glasses.