Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Precision Cueball Control

Hybrid View

Precision Cueball Control

I am wondering about the method that all of you strong players use to control the cueball. I consider myself a halfway decent player, but almost all of my position play is by feel alone. Meaning, I don't use any clock system or any exact tip distance from the center of the cueball. If I need to move the cueball from point A to point B, I just put the tip on the part of the cueball that I think is right...I don't think to myself "ok, half a tip of right english here, half a tip above center" or think "I need to hit this at 1:30". Do you think that if a person has an exact precision method for most of their shots it would improve their game, or is it just a waste of time. And do the pros go by feel or is it a system that they use.

Re: Precision Cueball Control

Darrelldicken,
    If your gett'n whitey to go where you want it to go your doing it right, don't mess with success. I think most top players use feel alone.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: darrelldicken:</font><hr> I am wondering about the method that all of you strong players use to control the cueball. I consider myself a halfway decent player, but almost all of my position play is by feel alone. Meaning, I don't use any clock system or any exact tip distance from the center of the cueball. If I need to move the cueball from point A to point B, I just put the tip on the part of the cueball that I think is right...I don't think to myself "ok, half a tip of right english here, half a tip above center" or think "I need to hit this at 1:30". Do you think that if a person has an exact precision method for most of their shots it would improve their game, or is it just a waste of time. And do the pros go by feel or is it a system that they use. <hr></blockquote>

i think there are several parts to this: rails,english,cb speed/distance control.i am not experienced enough to worry too much about english. when i took scott lee's lesson, he taught me how to move the cb, one rail,two rail,three rails and 4 rails, but still cant do the 4 rail.

when i went to randy's pool school, i learned some other cb distances from two rails to three rails with the minute variations in between. we also learned variations of softer shots, which they called finess. then we learned how to put these speeds into doing a stop shot and various draw distances and tangent lines.

i practice all these control distances every day. some i am better at than others but i think it is developing the muscle memory and the touch.

i think rails are another factor ie how much is absorbed by the rail and compensating for it and how english is gonna treat the cb coming off the rail.i am aware of these factors but too much of a new pool player to get into them right now.

there are probably other factors too like dead rails, humidity, dirt on the balls and others i dont know about.

good luck in your endeavor. i am just working on being able to put the cb where on the table i want to for delicate safetties and build muscle memory for the various cue to cb contact speeds.

bw

Buddy Hall's Clock System is one of the best. You can find it on his teaching video. Until then, Here's a good article that is very very true. http://www.8ball.org/simpson_mechanical_players.htm

I had a very good friend of mine (pro caliber 3c player) tell me a while back, "Use extreme english or no english on every shot, vary the speed rather than the spin, the spin is too hard to be precise on, while the speed is relatively easy to control."

That's the way I shoot now in both billiards and pool, and my game went up a notch when I put that theory into play.

Jay M

Jay, in general that's how I play and have for as long as I can remember. There are many situations however this can not be done. Sometimes you need a 1/2 tip or full tip and there just isn't another way or let me say a safe way. That is in comparison to my std 2 tips or none at all. I do agree with the method to a degree.
    <span style="color: blue">be smooth; better control and power with less effort.</span>

thanks for the link Drake...nice article
    Nick

Hi,ive been trying buddys clock system can anyone explain how to move it around the table

I'm like you in the feel aspect. I hammered my practice routines with clock systems and the such in the early years, and clambered to follow all the fundamental rules from "pool school" and I finally became so muddled with thought that my high percentage shots were going astray. It was about then that I read a phrase from one of my pool books, "think you CB to where you want it to go." I began blowing off all of the thinking about tip distance and school fundamental and allowed my body to self adjust, after all the body already knows how to shoot that shot, so why re-train it on the fly? Just askin' for trouble if you ask me.

Anyway, try this just for grins. Walk to the area you want your CB to shape to and place your hand on the cloth and visualize it resting there, and then just shoot the dam shot without fundamental jargon flashing through your pre shot routine and see if magic won't appear for ya....sid
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!"

Oddly, given that I like systems so much, I use none for shape, and do what you recommend-- just imagine where you want the cue ball to go, imagine seeing it go there after the hit on the rail or the object ball, and somebody running things behind the curtains knows how to do that, and does, with amazing accuracy.

Yes, I have an idea where GENERALLY to stroke the cue ball to accomplish that, but the exact combination of the hit, the speed, the spin, etc., all come together without any conscious attention. That said, very often the proper shape comes down to the proper speed more than anything else, and somehow, I've developed intuitive speed control without knowing how I did it (other than hit a million balls or so, LOL!).