Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: getting balls in on the break *DELETED* *DELETED*

getting balls in on the break *DELETED* *DELETED*

Post deleted by bluewolf

Re: getting balls in on the break

With all due respect, I don't understand this at all.

Re: getting balls in on the break *DELETED*

Post deleted by bluewolf

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: bluewolf:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote: anonymouse:</font><hr>With all due respect, I don't understand this at all. <hr></blockquote>

which part? the way i said it or why balls arent going in?
    <hr></blockquote>

I don't think the majority of posters describe the speed of their hit as "medium, 3-rail."

Sometimes, BW, balls don't go in on the break. The pyramid rack of 8-ball is not conducive to balls going straight in. The best chance is for the head ball into the side. The rest is more up to the rack, balls, and table.

There are those that will report making a ball on every break or some such high percentage. That's just a bunch of bull. Sure, some tournaments, I'll make a ball on the break a high percentage. Other tournament, it's a low percentage. Table conditions matter. The overall percentage is probably 50% or less for most real play (not fantasy selective memory) on various conditions (not always breaking at home).

After all of that, hit 'em as hard as you can while maintaining control. That's the standard fare answer.

Fred
    <font color="blue">You cannot create experience. You must undergo it.</font color>

I will also add, that some times you need to break from a different spot. Once you are able to consistently hit the rack solidly, then you should maybe begin thinking about making a ball. Hitting the pack solidly is most important to me.

If I notice that I am not making a ball after a couple breaks, I usually will break from the other side of the table. If that does not help, I will try moving the cueball farther out (I usually break from one side of the break box) towards the rail.

eg8r

If you are just using an 'arm' breaking motion, you can get a harder effective break using the same arm speed, but with either a wrist action or a little stepping action off the back foot at impact, or both.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: phil in sofla:</font><hr> If you are just using an 'arm' breaking motion, you can get a harder effective break using the same arm speed, but with either a wrist action or a little stepping action off the back foot at impact, or both.

<hr></blockquote>
    Yup. I like a 4-5 rail speed though. A lot of forearm motion with loose wrist. Never use the shoulder as it just screws the whole breaking snap. Half a tip below center is ok too.

Two variable(assuming you really are getting a solid hit.) 1. A proper rack without "the slug" built in. 2. Finding the right breaking speed for the table conditions at that particular time.

The worst thing people try to do(IMPHO) is to murder the balls, thinking the mere force will direct balls into holes. If you have a favorite region of the table to break from, and you are not getting balls down, then try varying the speed, predominetely slower. You'll see many slower breaks from people sinking 2-3 balls at times. So, as you gear up for the final plunge at the balls(and notice I didn't say lunge, cuz I ain't in favor of lots of body motion) back off 10% on your normal speed. Try a marginal bit less the next attempt...somewhere in there you will find balls hitting pockets...sid
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!"

I disagree with "never use the shoulder". Many great breakers do. If done properly, you can still maintain a straight cue path. But doing it properly can be difficult to learn and maintain. Francisco Bustamante is a great example of someone who puts his shoulder into the break properly. But then, he is a great example of someone who does EVERYTHING on the break properly.

Hi Bluewolf.

I have a few questions/requests for you, to help me understand how to best help you.

1: How long have you been playing?
    2: Please describe your breaking technique to me.
    3: What is the reason for using the current breaking technique? Meaning, is it just what you have always naturally done? Did you try something else, unsuccessfully? Did someone teach you to use this particular technique?

Mike