Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Straight in shot? Aim LEFT!!!

Straight in shot? Aim LEFT!!!

Not by much. About 11:58 am on the clock.

According to the snooker coach who clocked Darren Appleton, on his instructional dvd.

This seems odd to me (ya think!?!?!).

Comments? Ever heard of that idea?
    A medium sized fish [...]

Re: Straight in shot? Aim LEFT!!!

OK, I'm game...why doncha describe the aiming/alignment method and we'll weigh in?

Eric >192 lbs

Literally, this is the limit of my knowledge. It's a brief comment at most. Apparently he means to address the cue ball at the center line, and line up the center of the cue ball with the slightly left line that 11:58 would be (left of 12:00 high).

Something something about how a slight move over doesn't change the line much (which may be true, but changing the shot line off the correct straight in line, 12 on the cue ball to 12 on the object ball, would MAKE YOU MISS THE SHOT! I should think, anyway.) Slight allowance can be made for the double the ball-sized pocket, but still.

Sorry, it's like a joke without a punchline. I was hoping someone would have an idea why this might be a snooker technique he's applying to pool.

BTW, Eric >192 lbs. What would that be on the clock scale? [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]

I think this one is over my head.

I did find a good clock scale, tho:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-zlhI_9LXCQ...cale-clock.jpg

Eric

Nice find. With the classic 10 after 10 time that is preferred in showing watch faces. (Uh, how is that supposed to work exactly?)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice find. With the classic 10 after 10 time that is preferred in showing watch faces. (Uh, how is that supposed to work exactly?) </div></div>

My best guess is that the "10:10" position of the clock hands cradles the manufacturer's brand and name like a decorative scroll. Also, it adds to the symmetry of the clock/watch being presented.

Eric &gt;thread is officially derailed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not by much. About 11:58 am on the clock.
    According to the snooker coach who clocked Darren Appleton, on his instructional dvd. This seems odd to me (ya think!?!?!). Comments? Ever heard of that idea?</div></div>I think that it iz allmost impossible to hit the qball accurately on its vertical center.

Most of us see crooked, and we karnt identyfy true centerline on the qball, and we karnt point the cue at true centerline.

Most of us stroke crooked, and we karnt hit true centerline of qball, nor stroke throo along true line.

And theze errors allso apply to (identyfying and hitting the centerline of) the objektball.

A player kan overkum theze problems lots of ways. U kan do what kums naturally, and make allowances (in aim etc). U kan improov stroke etc. The best method iz probly the method that iz most reliable and konsistent.

Aiming a bit left of center on the qball and/or the objektball duznt sound odd to me, it would help lots of players. But it would be peculiar, koz players are different.

Aiming a bit left of center suggests that the player haz a stroking problem.

This shoodnt be confuzed with aiming left of apparent center (on the qball and/or the objektball). Aiming left of apparent center would be the sort of thing u might do if u were right-eye dominant, ie so that u ended up aiming at true center. After making that adjustment the player would feel that he/she woz aiming left of true center.

So woz coach's 11:58, woz it true 11:58 (strokeing problem) or apparent 11:58 (looking problem).
    mac.

My take on it is that it is wicked hard to stroke a pure centre ball cue. On dead on shots it's double hard because the danger is if you stray just a hair off centre some throw effect will happen, even enough to miss the shot depending on the approach orientation of the pocket. I aim to split the pocket but know that if i'm off, i want to be off on the open face side of the pocket. If that's slightly left i'll cue a hair to the right of centre, if that's slightly right, i'll cue a hair to the left of centre. I don't change my aim point at all. St.

Yes, but when the coach says to aim at 11:58, this iz for a straight-in-shot. I guess that this iz meant to make the objektball split the pkt -- while making the qball follow throo deadstraight, ie scratch into center of pkt if hit too hard. Or iz it.

Which raizes another question in my mind -- duz coach want darren to aim apparent center to center, and then to backhandpivot to 11:58 -- or to fronthandpivot -- or to what to what.

And then we kum to stretches comment. Stretch raizes the question, if u hav a kut to the right, do u still aim and then pivot to 11:58. And ditto for a kut to the left, ie aim and then pivot to 11:58 (ie not 12:02).

Lots to explain here.
    mac.

Quote Originally Posted by Soflasnapper View Post
    Not by much. About 11:58 am on the clock.

According to the snooker coach who clocked Darren Appleton, on his instructional dvd.

This seems odd to me (ya think!?!?!).

Comments? Ever heard of that idea?
    I wasn't going to reply to this thread but here goes.

Ever heard of Hal Houle??

Something to think about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4SEJ...04EDF4&index=1

Is it true of self delusion?
    Qtec
    Last edited by Qtec; 12-18-2012 at 06:42 AM.
    Remarkable.You leak a story, and then you quote the story. I mean,that's a remarkable thing to do