Thread: Darren Appleton lags ON AN ANGLE???? Would you?

Question Darren Appleton lags ON AN ANGLE???? Would you?

I was watching the International Challenge of Champions Sunday. They seemed to not show the initial game lag, but did show the sudden death rack lag when it occurred.

I could swear that in his case rack with Dennis Orcullo, DA lagged not straight up and down the table, but on an angle, so that the lag went on a triangular path, a little angle going up to the rail, and the corresponding similar angle off the foot rail back. (Won the lag easily.)

Not so far as to drift over his 'half' of the table and interfere with the other ball, but enough to notice. Unless it was a trick of the eye from the camera angle or something.

Anyone see that to confirm or deny it? I'm guessing there's no rule against that, but don't see that it would be a helpful variation to try.

I didn't see it but I have to wonder if he lags like that all of the time. I don't remember every noticing it before.

He lagged the same way during the Mosconi Cup also.

Just spit balling here, but i was thinking about what possible motive could there be to lagging at an angle like that. All i could come up with was that an angle approach to the rail (all be it slight) might negate some of the reaction that a forward rolling ball has when it changes direction off a rail. It might give you a cleaner reverse shift and a resulting feel for weight.

Speaking of weird lags, i know this guy that sometimes blasts the ball 4 lengths of the table! Is he ever good at it. He can usually get within a diamond of the head rail. For best effect you have to hit it just before your opponent rolls his shot . Completely throws them off! St.

Oh my! Is that a legal lag? Finding the limits of extreme lags. Hitting 3 or 4 rails seems a bit much, but maybe that's just unusual and not illegal?

How about 0 rails, jacking up for a masse, sending it toward the foot rail and never getting there with the reverse spin bringing it back to the head rail? (Not saying that would be effective, but would it be legal?)
    A medium sized fish [...]

Pretty sure the rulez explicitly saz to hit the foot rail.

http://www.wpa-pool.com/web/index.asp?id=116&pagetype=rules#1.2

Freddie <~~~ lost and confused today
    Last edited by Cornerman; 12-27-2012 at 09:54 AM.

In english billiards the 2 players string for choice of ball (white or yellow) and break (player breaks off or makes opponent break).
    The new rules for the string do not allow a player to hit hiz ball into the other half of the table, nor hit the side cushions or pocket jaws.
    The ball nearer the baulk cush wins. There iz no limit on how many times the ball goze upndown the table.

In 2012 i won 2 strings koz the opponent fouled, ie didnt hit proper. On both occassions i made the opponent break with yellow, and on both occassions the opponent told me that if they had won the string they would hav elekted to break with yellow. All's well that ends well.
    mac.

All's Well That Ends Well is a play by William Shakespeare. It is traditionally believed to have been written between 1604 and 1605,[1][2] and was originally published in the First Folio in 1623.

Though originally the play was classified as one of Shakespeare's comedies, the play is now considered by some critics to be one of his problem plays, so named because they cannot be neatly classified as tragedy or comedy.
    Last edited by cushioncrawler; 12-28-2012 at 04:29 AM.