Thread: The Republican Brand Problem

The Republican Brand Problem

The Republican brand problem

Posted by Chris Cillizza and Aaron Blake on December 13, 2012

One thing comes through loud and clear in the
    new NBC/Wall Street Journal national poll: Republicans have a major brand problem.

Consider the following findings in the NBC/WSJ poll:

* Asked an open-ended question as to what single word or short phrase people would use to describe the Republican Party, 65 percent of the responses were negative, while just 17 percent were positive. (For Democrats, 35 percent were positive, while 37 percent were negative.) Among the most oft-mentioned phrases used to describe Republicans: “bad/weak/negative” (8 percent), “uncompromising/need to work together” (6 percent) and “broken/disorganized/lost” (6 percent). So, that happened.

* The poll tested the positive and negative ratings for 11 politicians or political institutions. The lowest rated — in terms of the differential between positive and negative ratings — was the Republican Party, with a 30 percent positive score and a 45 percent negative score. Of the five worst positive-to-negative ratios, Republicans claimed four of them. (The lone exception: Susan Rice with a 20 positive/24 percent net-negative score.)

* When asked who they trusted more in “handling the fiscal cliff,” 38 percent named President Obama while just 19 percent named House Speaker John Boehner and Republicans in Congress. (Fourteen percent said they trusted both equally, and another 28 percent said they trusted neither side.)

What those numbers make clear is that the Republican brand is badly damaged. It is regarded by too many people as an uncompromising relic of the past — a party that lacks new ideas and is, therefore, forced to largely serve as a blockade to the other side. (That’s the biggest reason, by the way, why Republicans should be interested in compromising on the fiscal cliff. They gap between how Obama is regarded and how they are seen is enough to make going over the cliff a genuine political loser for them.)

And This:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...tml?ref=topbar

An ABC News-Washington Post poll released Tuesday indicted that nearly half of Americans approve of Obama's handling of the negotiations versus the quarter of respondents who approved of Boehner's.

At the same time, Obama's public opinion rating has reached about 54 percent in the Real Clear Politics polling average, above the level where it peaked in May 2011, when bin Laden was killed.

We may be seeing the deathknell, and final death struggle, for the GOP.

What would replace it, do you think?

Hard to imagine it wouldn't be some rump party of a Tea Party sort, i.e., something around the same fringe of the old GOP that the current GOP has been driven to.

Could there be a centrist, moderate replacement for the GOP? Basically, that would be the Democratic Party as it is currently configured, around the most conservative lights it's ever used. Mainstream Dems are close to what the old moderate wing of the GOP was, and have been for some decades now.
    A medium sized fish [...]

It would be nice to support a conservative party instead of the lesser of evils.
    Larry in VA...James Kopp, A real Hero and martyr.

I agree from my side. Funny, no? Seriously, the country needs principled conservatives, AND principled liberals, not the money-grubbing clown show that mainly exists.

The country would do well with two real parties, and not the one heavily disguised single party (the war and money party). The ruckus between them is a Punch and Judy show, while their true agreements proceed serenely behind the scenes.

Not that no one in the parties is sincere. There are probably a residual 10% or something like that among whom the party's best is represented faithfully.

To my way of thinking, that would lead to no compromise and no law and that would be a good thing. Now to overturn about 95% of existing law and we would get to where I want to be.
    Larry in VA...James Kopp, A real Hero and martyr.

Praps the gridlock will rezult in 3 partys, left right and center.

Did u hear about the country with 3 vaginas -- all the other countrys skrewed her left right and center.
    mac.

Quote Originally Posted by llotter View Post
    To my way of thinking, that would lead to no compromise and no law and that would be a good thing. Now to overturn about 95% of existing law and we would get to where I want to be.
    You need to understand the vast corruption of military spending, and include sharp reductions in its budgeting, to get a realistic grasp on what it is you'd like to do. Maybe you understand this, but to all evidence I've seen, you are entirely blind to it. And of course, their propaganda is among the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Soflasnapper View Post
    We may be seeing the deathknell, and final death struggle, for the GOP.

What would replace it, do you think?

Hard to imagine it wouldn't be some rump party of a Tea Party sort, i.e., something around the same fringe of the old GOP that the current GOP has been driven to.

Could there be a centrist, moderate replacement for the GOP? Basically, that would be the Democratic Party as it is currently configured, around the most conservative lights it's ever used. Mainstream Dems are close to what the old moderate wing of the GOP was, and have been for some decades now.

My personal preference to replace The Repub Party, would be The green party.

IMPO, neither party currently does a good enough job protecting the environment, Republicans being the worst by far.

I would vote Greens. So would any thinking alien.
    mac.