Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: advice

advice

Hello everyone, I havent posted here for quite a while, (life happens) just to get things going I'd like to ask, What is the single most important advice or knowledge that youv'e learned that has improved your game?

Re: advice

Learn proper technique and practice if you want to improve.

Thanks Rich, I guess I should have been a little more specific. I was looking for a little more technical answers. such as aiming techniques, position play, patterns etc. Ive been playing for almost 50 yrs and practice pretty much daily. im just curious about what people have learned that sort of turned the light on. so to speak.

None of the other stuff means squat if you don't have proper technique.
    If you aime but can't hit the target, what do you get?
    You definitely can't play proper position without proper technique.
    The same goes for patterns.
    I stand by my original answer. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img]

Ray Martin taught me concentrate on being a shot-maker before anything else. He was right.

My game improved the most when I made ball-pocketing my priority.

For me it was more of a mental thing I had going on, and the mounting frustration that goes with it. I call it "the sports attitude." Had to make my number 1 rule: No matter what happens, dont get pissed off. (This aint football or baseball.)

All good answers! I think for me it was learning how the cue ball initially comes off the object ball at 90 and how speed and English affect it from there. Really improved my position play.

I think my original breakthrough on pool knowledge was that there was such a thing as pool knowledge, and also learning I didn't know much of any of it!

I was an occasional and casual player in bars, and thought I knew enough physics to understand what was going on. Wrong.

Robert Byrne opened my eyes to another world, and then Cool Cat Ray Martin filled in about 99 other details.

Getting instruction on correct mechanics was as or more important, however, and I wish I had done that much earlier.
    A medium sized fish [...]

Learn how to stroke straight and hit the CB to the *exact* place you are aiming/sighting at.

The ol' put-the-cb-on-headspot-shoot-it-straight-down-table-and-back-to-your-cuetip drill works well.

Eric

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello everyone, I havent posted here for quite a while, (life happens) just to get things going I'd like to ask, What is the single most important advice or knowledge that youv'e learned that has improved your game?</div></div>I hav received lots of advice. And i hav listened-in on lots of discussions.

But i feel that i hav never received any advice that haz improoved my game at all.

On the other hand, praps just one thing. I learned from Dr Dave that balltoball friktion varys a hell of a lot depending on the force of the kontakt, and depending on the amount of balltoball sliding during kontakt. This knowledge haz helped me heaps. Mostly in relation to the throw affekting the line taken by the objektball. I know i woz wasting lots of time searching for problems with my stroke when all the time (most of the time) it twernt my stroke at all. Wish i had learned when much younger.
    mac.