Thread: The NRA scams its membership

The NRA scams its membership

I know this because I go through all my father's mail as his guardian.

The NRA has recently put on a scam.

It sent an unsolicited DVD, and now demands that the member 'pay for what they ordered,' or 'send it back, as they'd agreed.'

Problem: it was never ordered, nor was any agreement to return it if uninterested made.

Second problem: if one gives in and simply pays for it, they disclose you then are in a kind of book (dvd) of the month program, where they will send you another one and another one each month, causing you to have to either pay for those, or take the time and expense to send them back.

I ignored the first demand letter, and just got another one. In this one, in fine print, at the bottom of page 4 iirc, the NRA 'discloses' (in as undiscoverable a fashion as possible) that 'since you did not order this, you are under no obligation to either pay for it or send it back.'

Finally something true from the NRA! Except that this same second dunning letter is all about two pages of assertions to the contrary of this disclaimer, and the disclaimer is essentially hidden. That is, it still says their member needs to pay for this, or send it back, as they'd agreed when they asked for a free trial send on the first DVD.

Fight the power!
    A medium sized fish [...]

Odd that I've been a member for over 25 years and have never seen this?

Hmmmmm -- whats in the DVD?????
    Might be ok.
    mac.

Quote Originally Posted by LWW View Post
    Odd that I've been a member for over 25 years and have never seen this?
    Provide me a fax number and I'll send it over (assuming I kept it, which I believe I have, having just seen the second dunning notice with the 'fine print' 'never mind' notice, which wasn't on the first notice iirc).

Perhaps they profile the elderly (are you in your eighties?), and/or the lifetime members (are you one of those?). In fact, as requested by my father, I newly made him a lifetime member, as he had not been, before.

Perhaps the combination of lifetime membership (which I presume saves the annual dues), AND his being the better part of 84 yo (about 6 weeks away), triggers a panic algorithm as to how to maximize cash flow from such a profiled person in their life expectancy remaining?

I suspect that it is someone who bought an NRA mailing list and using their logo and such nefariously ... I'd contact the NRA.

The nra uzes its own logo nefariously every day.
    mac.

Quote Originally Posted by LWW View Post
    I suspect that it is someone who bought an NRA mailing list and using their logo and such nefariously ... I'd contact the NRA.
    After I stopped laughing at that one, I decided it's half right. Yes, it's probably an outside group working with the NRA, but I assume with their permission and approval. Nobody punks the NRA and uses their official look and letterhead without their permission and approval, without receiving a cease and desist order by attorney letter and then a lawsuit if the letter isn't honored.

Very touching you are so naive about your beloved group, but please...

Does NRA Scam its Members

In response to Soflasnapper's comment about the NRA scam. I am a conservative and joined the organization in 2012. This past summer I too received the exact same DVD that he/she referred to. I didn't order it and got a bill. I got a second bill and read the fine print S. referred to. I phoned the NRA and they acknowledged they sent it. This was not some organization trying to pretend they are the NRA. I told them I was very disappointed at this technique. During my membership period I have been bombarded with nothing but fundraising pleas on a monthly basis. This is in addition to any dues I send in. I for one am disappointed at what appears to be nothing but constant money raising and deceptive tactics to separate the members from our money.