Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NRA Head LaPierre: 'There is No Gun Show Loophole'

NRA Head LaPierre: 'There is No Gun Show Loophole'

This interview with Wayne LaPierre on this Sunday's Meet the Press ended up going pretty well the way I expected it would, which is with David Gregory hitting LaPierre with some difficult questions, but doing what he usually does and going easy on him with any follow up. I disagree. Its the first time I have seen Gregory act like a real journalist.Why NBC felt the need to give this guy a national platform to repeat the same talking points he made during his bizarre press conference the other day is beyond me. Give them enough rope.....Q

After allowing LaPierre to blame our problems with gun violence in the United States on everything from a lack of armed guards in our schools, to our mental health system and on anything and everything other than guns, LaPierre said this about the gun show loophole.

LAPIERRE: Now, I know where you're going with this. They come up with this whole... the gun show loophole. There's not a gun show loophole. It's illegal for felons to do anything like that, to buy guns. What the anti-Second Amendment wants to do is put every gun sale in the country under the thumb of the federal government. Congress debated this at length. They said if you're a hobbyist or collector, if someone in West Virginia, a hunter wants to sell a gun to another hunter, they ought to be able to do it without being under the thumb of the federal government.

So he basically defended the loophole while claiming it doesn't exist. And David Gregory continued by trying to reason with someone who is not a rational or reasonable person.

GREGORY: What I hear you saying is, well, you can't do anything about high capacity ammunition magazines, because it simply won't work, yet you're proposing things that you don't know will completely work, but you're into the art of the possible, because Don't you see that people see that as a complete dodge?
    Bingo. Yes, its a complete dodge.

your standard is, anything that has a chance of working we ought to try, except when it has to do with guns or ammunition.
    http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/...un-show-loopho

Unfortunately, this just happened.

Gunman Ambushes Firefighters at NY Blaze

A man convicted of killing his grandmother decades ago ambushed firefighters on Monday, fatally shooting two of them as they arrived to battle a blaze in upstate New York, police said.

Two other firefighters were wounded in the attack in the Rochester-area town of Webster. A police officer from the nearby town of Greece suffered minor shrapnel wounds when his vehicle was hit by gunfire.

Investigators believe the suspect, William Spengler, 62, set the original fire, then likely set himself up on a berm with a clear view of the scene and started shooting.

"It appears that it was a trap," Webster Police Chief Gerald Pickering said. "There was a car and a house that were involved in flames, probably set by Mr. Spengler, who laid in wait in armament and then shot the first responders."

Authorities do not know how Spengler -- who was found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound hours after the four firefighters were shot -- obtained the weapon or weapons he used or why he opened fire, Pickering told reporters. As a convicted felon, Spengler was not allowed to legally possess weapons, but he had "several different types of weapons" Monday, the police chief said.
    How many more?

Q
    Remarkable.You leak a story, and then you quote the story. I mean,that's a remarkable thing to do

If every felon shot and killed 10 nonfelons, how many nonfelons would be remaining in the usofa.
    300 million.
    200 million.
    100 million.
    zero million.
    minus 100 million.

Korrekt answer later.
    mac.
    (Woz that a shot i just heard just then. Dang, thats another one.)

Felons
    According to one estimate, there are currently over 12 million felons in the United States, representing roughly 8% of the working-age population.[1] The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission has interpreted the Civil Rights Act to require that, where an employment policy of a state, municipal, or private employer that discriminates against ex-offenders will have a disparate racial impact, employers must show a business necessity before automatically disqualifying ex-offenders.[2] Some statutes prohibit hiring ex-offenders for certain types of jobs, such as health care or education, and forbid licensing boards from distributing licenses to ex-offenders or require the boards to consider the applicant's moral character. Professions requiring licensing can include Emergency Medical Technicians and Paramedics, billiard room employees, attorneys, physicians, pharmacists, nurses, barbers, embalmers, septic tank cleaners, realtors, accountants, contractors, and sellers of alcoholic beverages. Such regulations sometimes result from lobbying by professional communities seeking to raise barriers to entry.

I think their point here is that criminals can get guns ,and the NRA supports that, while at the same time saying it would be illegal for felons to have guns!.

Quote Originally Posted by cushioncrawler View Post
    If every felon shot and killed 10 nonfelons, how many nonfelons would be remaining in the usofa.
    300 million.
    200 million.
    100 million.
    zero million.
    minus 100 million.

Korrekt answer later.
    mac.
    (Woz that a shot i just heard just then. Dang, thats another one.)

Q
    Remarkable.You leak a story, and then you quote the story. I mean,that's a remarkable thing to do

Quote Originally Posted by Qtec View Post
    Bingo. Yes, its a complete dodge.

http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/...un-show-loopho

Unfortunately, this just happened.

How many more?

Q
    Please explain, in your own words, what the "GUN SHOW LOOPHOLE" is?

Also, have you yet figured out what a "CAPITAL GAIN" is?

Quote Originally Posted by LWW View Post
    Please explain, in your own words, what the "GUN SHOW LOOPHOLE" is?

Also, have you yet figured out what a "CAPITAL GAIN" is?
    I only recently found out what it WASN'T, when my allegedly mentally incapacitated father strongly disagreed with my mentioning it.

No, licensed gun dealers displaying weapons for sale at a gun show do not evade the requirement for background checks, paperwork, whatever-- all that is required there, as if they were at their own licensed shops. (That had been my error, thinking licensed gun dealers had no legal requirement at a gun show, and that is not so.)

BUT PRIVATE SELLERS DO. There, right at the gun show, just as if they were doing it in a completely private setting, such as in their house. How many could they have privately for sale, either at home, out of the back of their vehicle, or at a booth at the gun show? Any number. Dozens. Hundreds.

Enough is done this way to make 40% of gun sales in this country paper-less, untracked, unregistered, and no checks on the buyers, assuming that stat is correct.

One might think the gun show loophole is just a continuation of the 'private' sale loophole. But there's this difference. Privately, an unregistered and unlicensed guy with a gun or guns for sale can only hook up with x amount of people-- low single digit numbers with ease, much harder to get much above that. But at a several day gunshow, as we have around here-- hundreds and hundreds of buyers potentially walk by the booth or can be chatted up without a booth on the floor.
    A medium sized fish [...]

The NRA issued a statement today that they do not support the 'private skool loophole'.
    Skools kan evade the requirements for a properly registered and operated shooting range.
    And, shooting ranges are prohibited from having live targets -- and some shooting range operators are now opening up private skools.
    mac.

Make 3-shot revolvers kompulsory, ie a 6-shot but with every other hole a 'click' only.
    Last edited by cushioncrawler; 12-25-2012 at 02:59 PM.

You can sell your own firearms ... meaning none that are new ... and you cannot take trades, offer credit, or be operating as a for profit business.

You can, however, liquidate a large personal collection and sell weapons built before 1890 something without FFL forms.

The number one enforcer against violaters ... and there are violaters of all laws ... are the FFL selers in attendance. I know a couple FFL dealers and they, like any licensed business, will push the state to hammer offenders.

The "GUNSHOW LOOPHOLE" scare is anti gun mythology.

This reminds me of several years ago an employee brought me a full page ad in the USAToday ran by the Brady people.

It claimed that gun show laws were so loose that a child could attend a gun show and buy a fully automatic weapon.

Knowing this was pure moonbattery, and knowing this otherwise good employee was a omplete moonbat when it came to the second amendment, I closed my office door and said "Steve, I want you to pay close attention but be quiet."

I called their 800 number and professed a desire to be a member at their highest contribution level, I think t was $2,500, but kept ranting about how anti gun I was as they kept trying to get me back on track to make the donation.

After a couple minutes selling them on my conviction, I told them that I had a friend who refused to believe that these *#%+€ег*%#'ed cold blooded murderers at gun shows could legally sell a child a fully autoatic weapon ... and how could I prove that it was true.

Trap set ... they confessed that it was an entirely wordsmithed claim, but since fully automatic weapons COULD be old, and only to LIVING PEOPLE, and since all living people HAD PARENTS, that meant that everyone who legally bought a licensed and axed automatic weapon at a gun show was the child of someone.

There are a lot of guns sold in this country. New or used, I don't think that matters. Pawn shops, all pre-owned, obviously. Gun shops? Maybe both new and old, no reason they wouldn't re-sell used guns.

Supposedly, 40% of all gun sales evade background checks, whether legally (via the loopholes) or illegally, by ignoring applicable laws, again, it would appear not to matter.

If 40% of a large number (the total number of gun sales in this country) are done without background checks, then this is a big problem, in my view. Whether it is mainly the gunshow loophole or something else, it really ought to be addressed, as of course, even NRA members agree by majority according to polling that ANYBODY getting a gun ought to have a background check. If they are not, this is troublesome.
    A medium sized fish [...]

Quote Originally Posted by Soflasnapper View Post
    There are a lot of guns sold in this country. New or used, I don't think that matters. Pawn shops, all pre-owned, obviously. Gun shops? Maybe both new and old, no reason they wouldn't re-sell used guns.

Supposedly, 40% of all gun sales evade background checks, whether legally (via the loopholes) or illegally, by ignoring applicable laws, again, it would appear not to matter.

If 40% of a large number (the total number of gun sales in this country) are done without background checks, then this is a big problem, in my view. Whether it is mainly the gunshow loophole or something else, it really ought to be addressed, as of course, even NRA members agree by majority according to polling that ANYBODY getting a gun ought to have a background check. If they are not, this is troublesome.
    Pawn shops and FFL'ed dealers must file all appropriate forms because they are a for profit business.

I would be curious to see here the 40% number came from?