Thread: Ted Cruz: Only Democrats Are Threatening Default on the Debt

Hybrid View

Ted Cruz: Only Democrats Are Threatening Default on the Debt

Tea party backed Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) on Sunday insisted only Democrats were threatening default on the debt even though he has vowed not to raise the debt ceiling until Congress passes a balanced budget amendment.

"Let me be very clear about this," Cruz told Fox News host John Roberts. "I do not support default on the debt. We should never default on the debt, and the only players on Washington who are threatening default on the debt are President Barack Obama and [Senate Majority Leader] Harry Reid."

"In any given month, federal tax revenues are approximately 200 billion a month, interest on the debt is 30 to 40 billion dollars a month," the Texas Republican continued. "There is plenty of revenue to service the debt. And any responsible president would have stood at that podium and said, under any circumstance -- whatever happens with the debt ceiling -- we will always pay our debt, we will never default on the debt."

"And the reason the president isn't doing that is he's trying to scare people, he is trying to raise the spectre of a financial apocalypse."

A petition on the Ted Cruz for Senate campaign website calls on Congress to "hold the line" and prevent any debt ceiling increases without a balanced budget amendment to the U.S. constitution.

"I will stand with conservatives across the country in telling Congress not to raise the debt ceiling without a Balanced Budget Amendment," the petition states.
    Apart from the fact that idiots like this guy should never hold ANY position of power, the interviewer lets him spout this nonsense without even questioning him on it.

Its absurd of course. He and the GOP want to hold the country hostage but Obama made them do it!

http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/...reatening-defa

Interestingly enough, on the same page there was this.

I admit that I was stunned to see Thomas Mann and Norm Ornstein on the guest list for Reliable Sources this week. Mann and Ornstein's book placed very pointed blame on the media for failing Americans in presenting the truth of the extremism of the Republican Party. So how could the king of the false equivalency, Howard Kurtz, handle having on such dead-on criticism on his show?

By pretending that he isn't part of the problem, natch.
    And then a little blaming-the-messenger suggestion to dismiss the allegations:

KURTZ: Well, this is a striking message coming from the two of you, because you've both been around Washington a long time. You do have a reputation as being kind of centrist, even though you're different kinds of think tanks.

But at the same time, I just have to wonder, maybe you just don't like where the Republican Party has gone. I mean, after all, the people who represent the Republicans here in D.C. were elected by constituents who want them to do what they're doing. And so this is more of an ideological message on your part as opposed to calling out the press for supposed bias.

MANN: It could be, but I don't believe it is. We don't do that kind of analysis and --

KURTZ: You do it right here. The Republicans are extremists. Republicans are radicals.

MANN: But look to see how we back it up. I mean, we really look at arguments made and there's no truth content to them.

Wait...facts backed up by evidence? Thems alien concepts to Kurtz. And to the rest of the Beltway media, which Kurtz never internalizes. In fact, I've never seen him more invested in not internalizing what's being said or following up on questions in an interview. Clearly, Mann and Ornstein have hit too close to home.
    The ONLY reason that the last election was a contest at all was because the Republicans could go on tv and lie and get away with it. They are still doing it today and its getting worse.

http://crooksandliars.com/nicole-bel...cent-mann-and-

Watch it.

Q
    Remarkable.You leak a story, and then you quote the story. I mean,that's a remarkable thing to do

Yes, and like their ignorant Tea Party Zealots, the Repiglican Party is continuing to get lower and lower approval numbers.

The wealthy elite of the republican party are angry that the pitchfork wielding mob has demanded power rather than just providing the votes that the financial titans need to keep their historically high economic disparity in place. Now the elite have to deal with all these messy social issues they never believed in and a slavering pack demanding that their paranoia be recognized. A classic example of Frankenstein's creator losing control of his creation.

This irrational threat of the Repiglicans to refuse to raise the debt ceiling, after they ran up most of the debt, should just about finish them off, if they aren't already obsolete.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by Gayle in MD View Post
    Yes, and like their ignorant Tea Party Zealots, the Repiglican Party is continuing to get lower and lower approval numbers.The wealthy elite of the republican party are angry that the pitchfork wielding mob has demanded power rather than just providing the votes that the financial titans need to keep their historically high economic disparity in place. Now the elite have to deal with all these messy social issues they never believed in and a slavering pack demanding that their paranoia be recognized. A classic example of Frankenstein's creator losing control of his creation. This irrational threat of the Repiglicans to refuse to raise the debt ceiling, after they ran up most of the debt, should just about finish them off, if they aren't already obsolete.G.
    I aint never read frankenstein's monster -- but i beleev that IT woz trying to be friendly and the townspeeple thort IT woz trying to harm, and they formed a deathsquad and killed IT -- its a sad story, not a monster story.
    mac.

This irrational threat of the Repiglicans to refuse to raise the debt ceiling, after they ran up most of the debt, should just about finish them off, if they aren't already obsolete.

I would hope so, but I'll point out they ALREADY DID THIS THREAT, to no apparent doom, yet. (Yes, I know they lost the election, but not particularly on this issue that I noticed.)

Now if the threat should materialize into action (inaction, whatever), that may be more apt to have this effect, but heaven forfend! We don't want that, even as an instructive object lesson to the part of the American people who've been hypnotized by these men and their carnival barker propagandists.
    A medium sized fish [...]

Quote Originally Posted by Soflasnapper View Post

I would hope so, but I'll point out they ALREADY DID THIS THREAT, to no apparent doom, yet. (Yes, I know they lost the election, but not particularly on this issue that I noticed.)

Now if the threat should materialize into action (inaction, whatever), that may be more apt to have this effect, but heaven forfend! We don't want that, even as an instructive object lesson to the part of the American people who've been hypnotized by these men and their carnival barker propagandists.
    Agree. I can only hope that their beloved Corporations who are so enjoying their own corporate welfare, will put the necessary pressure on Repigllicans to prevent them from causing more economic disaster, unless of course these "Investors" have yet another crash in their plans, so that they can take advantage of more disaster capitalism.

???