Thread: Who is the best player you ever played against?

Who is the best player you ever played against?

Mine was Jaffar Basheer and Im sorry Henry but I probly spelled that wrong.

I played him at Ortons in philly about 30 years ago.

Best 1 pocket man I ever did see.

Quote Originally Posted by WV Slim Shady View Post
    Mine was Jaffar Basheer and Im sorry Henry but I probly spelled that wrong.

I played him at Ortons in philly about 30 years ago.

Best 1 pocket man I ever did see.
    Ginky (George San Souci). He and I played 8 ball on the bar box at my local neighborhood Irish pub in Guttenberg, NJ. That was about a year before he passed away. (RIP, Ginky.)
    There is no stupider creature on earth than a poor Republican. Such a person would stand in line to be sodomized and then thank their assailant afterward.

Lucky Joey at the Diamond Billiards on Summers St. in Charleston about 30 years ago.
    2nd probably Frank Hawkenberry 43 years ago in Fairmont. He was only 17 at the time.
    May God bless all of you.

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    Lucky Joey at the Diamond Billiards on Summers St. in Charleston about 30 years ago.
    2nd probably Frank Hawkenberry 43 years ago in Fairmont. He was only 17 at the time.
    Jaffar and me played there once.

He was usually known as one eyed Henry or patcheye.

Quote Originally Posted by WV Slim Shady View Post
    Jaffar and me played there once.

He was usually known as one eyed Henry or patcheye.
    He played my buddy Eddie the Ripper once in Clarksburg. Eddie winked at me and said, "He's only got one eye!"
    He ate Eddie up fast.
    Then our local shark Kenny "Sarge" Gorby came in and told us that was Dead Eye, one of the greats.
    That was it. We all ran.
    May God bless all of you.

I ain't undefeated but Jaffar is the only man I ever played that I was just out of my leage against.

It want that he never missed but he had a chance on every shot you could leave him with.

I played Dave Broxson (sp?) in a little handicapped 9-ball tournament we had at a local pool hall. Didn't know who he was, nor did the TD, so he came in incognito, although one of the better road players in Florida, I've heard. Just a few years later he gave eventual US 9-ball Open champion John Schmidt his only loss that year, on his way to a 5th place finish himself. (Schmidt eventually avenged his loss beating Broxson on the one-loss side late in the tourney.)

He played on the lemon, artfully just missing shots while leaving bubkus, so as not to blow his cover. Eventually he left me a tricky backcut bank on the rail which I know, and that got me out in a very short race. That got me to the finals against his girlfriend, who had been learning from a series of road player boyfriends. I had to give her weight since no one knew how she played, and lost the finals to her.
    A medium sized fish [...]

"He played on the lemon, artfully just missing shots while leaving bubkus, so as not to blow his cover."

I see this a lot when I get a killer player's game, especially in tournaments. I am no newbie but I do still get treated like one, and by some of the stellar local players I've known a long time. Luckily, I now play a very good player with a nice spot and he and I trade money but learn each other's game. That is what billiards is supposed to be like, not "the hustle." It just ain't that way though, and to be honest...I am deceiving too at different venues.

Been in the same place with the GFs of strong players too. I learned to always keep a keen eye on those as well. I know an honest game, and I like to keep my cash by not being sucked in.

Congrats on the back cut. sid

Quote Originally Posted by Soflasnapper View Post
    I played Dave Broxson (sp?) in a little handicapped 9-ball tournament we had at a local pool hall. Didn't know who he was, nor did the TD, so he came in incognito, although one of the better road players in Florida, I've heard. Just a few years later he gave eventual US 9-ball Open champion John Schmidt his only loss that year, on his way to a 5th place finish himself. (Schmidt eventually avenged his loss beating Broxson on the one-loss side late in the tourney.)

He played on the lemon, artfully just missing shots while leaving bubkus, so as not to blow his cover. Eventually he left me a tricky backcut bank on the rail which I know, and that got me out in a very short race. That got me to the finals against his girlfriend, who had been learning from a series of road player boyfriends. I had to give her weight since no one knew how she played, and lost the finals to her.
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!"

Thanks! The difficulty was missing the double kiss as it was on the rail, but as the late 'Professor' Grady Matthews used to say (to the delight of his ex-wives, he'd mention), I knew that shot! LOL! Just some speed and English. (It's possible I learned that from one of his instructional tapes in fact.)
    A medium sized fish [...]