Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Debunking Almost Every Republican Lie Against President Obama

  1. #1
    Senior Member DiabloViejo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    12,859

    Debunking Almost Every Republican Lie Against President Obama

    Debunking Almost Every Republican Lie Against President Obama

    March 24, 2013 By Allen Clifton
    Forward Progressive
    http://www.forwardprogressives.com/d...esident-obama/




    I’ve read thousands upon thousands of comments by Republicans in the 14 months since I founded my page Right Off A Cliff. Usually what they say doesn’t bother me, because often it’s just ridiculous. The thing that does drive me nuts is that about 95% of what they say is completely inaccurate.

    Let me shred some of their Fox News fed rhetoric:

    Obama has been the biggest spending President in history! FALSE. Year to year spending increases have been less than 1%. They’re also at their lowest rate of year to year increases since Eisenhower.
    Obama has spent more than all other Presidents in history! FALSE. On January 20, 2009 our national debt was $10.6 trillion, today it’s $16.7 trillion—for a $6.1 trillion increase. For the mathematically challenged, $6.1 trillion is less than $10.6 trillion. This also doesn’t factor in the money spent in 2009, which gets tagged to President Obama, was actually passed by Bush.
    *This also doesn’t take into account much of the cost of both the Iraq and Afghanistan wars had not been put on our books by the Bush administration.

    Obama is a Muslim! FALSE. You’re an idiot and I’m not even going to explain why.

    Obama isn’t an American! FALSE. See above.

    Obama is a Communist/Socialist/Fascist! FALSE. They’re all different—it’s impossible to be all 3. Then with stocks setting new records, having their best 10 day stretch since 1996, and increasing by more than 100% since their lows in 2006…he would be the worst Communist, Socialist or Fascist that has ever existed.

    Obama is always on vacation! FALSE. President Obama took 131 vacation days in his first 4 years in office. That puts him on pace for 262 days during 8 years in the White House. By contrast Bush took 1,020 days, including a 5-week vacation–the longest by any President in nearly 4 decades, and Reagan who took 484 days. Once again for the mathematically challenged, Obama is on pace to take fewer vacations than both Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush.

    The economy has gotten worse under Obama! FALSE. Are you insane, have selective memory or both? In February 2009, we lost 651K jobs. In February 2013, we added 236K jobs. Again, for the mathematically challenged, that’s a positive shift of 887K jobs from our losses in February 2009 to our gains in February 2013.

    I’ve seen the rebuttal to these numbers, so I’ll squash it right now before moving on:

    Those jobs numbers are a lie! No, they’re from the same source which Republicans have used to saddle Obama’s job losses (from his first year in office… and only his first year). So you can’t use a source to support your argument, then ignore that very same source when it no longer supports what you want to believe.

    Unemployment is at record highs! FALSE. Unemployment hit a high during November 2009 of 10%, it’s now at 7.7%.

    I can already hear the Republican rebuttal to this one as well, “But that doesn’t include the people who have stopped looking for work!” I hate to burst your bubble, but the unemployment ratenever includes those who have given up looking for work. This isn’t a shift in what defines our unemployment rate, this is how ithasbeen calculated for quite some time.
    Fun history lesson: When Reagan took office, unemployment was at 7.5%. Within his first 18 months in office unemployment shot all the way up to 10.8%.

    Obamacare is unconstitutional! FALSE. The Affordable Care Act was passed by Congress, signed by the President and the Supreme Court ruled that it was in fact Constitutional.

    Obama has been terrible for business! FALSE. Corporate profits are up 171% since President Obama took office and are at their highest levels, relative to the size of economic growth, since 1947.

    Obama has waged a war on the rich! FALSE. We’ve added over 300,000 new millionaires, for a total of 8.9 million, approaching the all-time high of 9.2 million.

    Obama is out to take away our Second Amendment rights! FALSE. Well, not anymore than Ronald Reagan or George W. Bush wanted to. He wants to put back in place the assault weapons ban that was supported by Reagan and Bush that expired in 2004. He also wants to limit magazine size to 10 rounds and require universal background checks for all gun purchases–something that is overwhelmingly supported by most Americans, regardless of political affiliation.

    I’ll stop there. I could have continued, but I’d risk going into fringe stories such as microchips and FEMA concentration camps that really don’t deserve anyone’s attention.

    The point is, these statements comprise the vast majority of comments I read from Republicans, and they’re completely inaccurate.

    This is why political debate goes absolutely nowhere these days. It’s hard to have rational discussion with people who are starting their argument based on complete lies. Not only do they base their argument on these lies, they want these lies to be true. Even when you present them with indisputable factual data that contradicts their beliefs, it makes absolutely no difference.

    And therein lies the problem. They’re suffering from cognitive dissonance. Simply put, it’s where the brain creates it’s own reality when faced with two conflicting beliefs. You see this often in abusive relationships. One partner is abused, but wants to believe their partner loves them–because that’s what they’re told. They then equate abuse to love and convince themselves that it’s okay, because they want to believe that the person abusing them actually does love them. Their brain can’t comprehend the conflicting realities, so they create some alternate form of reality which justifies these conflicts.

    That’s where we’re at with Republicans. They want to believe the lies they’ve been fed, even though reality doesn’t support them. With this conflict they’ve created an alternate reality where facts don’t matter, science doesn’t matter, reality doesn’t matter, history doesn’t matter and math doesn’t matter…

    And that’s very dangerous.


    About Allen Clifton
    Allen Clifton is the founder of the popular Facebook page "Right Off A Cliff," on which he routinely voices his opinions and stirs the pot for the Progressive movement.



  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    20,899
    Aother great post! Thank you friend. You are better than a fact check site!


  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    5,107
    How is it still possible for so called educated American voters, not to understand these things? It brings my mind back to the 2000 election. The dems just finished producing the absolute BEST economy our country has ever seen in it's history, and THEY voted for a change!? We really must have a class of zombies in the right, who vote against their own economic wellfair. What's this country become...Rushies and total lame brains? I am serious with that question. martin
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!"

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    20,899
    That election was thrown, totally, IMO. Remember Katherine Harris in Florida, "Purging" the voting rolls. Then the Republican majority Supreme Court performed an unprecedented act by throwing out the Florida Supreme Court's decision to re-count the votes.

    Al Gore won the popular vote in the 2,000 election.

    Republicans have lost the popular vote in five of the last six elections.

    Crooks!

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Glenville, WV
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by Gayle in MD View Post
    That election was thrown, totally, IMO. Remember Katherine Harris in Florida, "Purging" the voting rolls. Then the Republican majority Supreme Court performed an unprecedented act by throwing out the Florida Supreme Court's decision to re-count the votes.

    Al Gore won the popular vote in the 2,000 election.

    Republicans have lost the popular vote in five of the last six elections.

    Crooks!
    Of course bush stole the election in 2000 and did it again in 2004.

    I dont blame the demicrats for having people vote again and again.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    20,899
    Quote Originally Posted by WV Slim Shady View Post
    Of course bush stole the election in 2000 and did it again in 2004.

    I dont blame the demicrats for having people vote again and again.
    There is no proof that Democrats have people vote again and again.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Glenville, WV
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by Gayle in MD View Post
    There is no proof that Democrats have people vote again and again.
    Well down here we vote more than once and we vote demicrat.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    9,883
    Quote Originally Posted by WV Slim Shady View Post
    Well down here we vote more than once and we vote demicrat.
    No, we DON' T !!! "Down here."
    And I believe Romney carried Gilmer County.
    May God bless all of you.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Glenville, WV
    Posts
    344
    Only cause of the klan. I guess next the story is they aint no klan in West Virgina.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    9,883
    Quote Originally Posted by WV Slim Shady View Post
    Only cause of the klan. I guess next the story is they aint no klan in West Virgina.
    Slim, I'm starting to wonder if you're the real Slim Shady. Starting to sound more like a few others I know.- .
    Most West Virginians are proud of our state and defend it. You sound more like you're from Ohio.
    Reveling in your illiteracy.- Most of us are literate.
    Insisting that we can get by with voting twice. - Pure bullsh*t!
    Claiming the Klan are prominent in this area.- Certainly not in North Central West Virginia. We've run them out of Harrison County every time they've reared their ugly head.
    I suspect this is really larry wilson or one of his cronies from AZBillards.
    You don't sound like any West Virginian I know. We are a proud people.
    Last edited by hondo; 04-03-2013 at 05:51 PM.
    May God bless all of you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •