Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: There are no magic bullets.

There are no magic bullets.

There are so many beginner to intermediate pool players constantly looking for that next big thing that will improve their game. They constantly try the newest tip, ld shaft, taper, etc, etc. They are always looking for the magic bullet that will make them play like a pro.

I hate to break it to you..but no new tip is going to give you a reliable stroke, no new shaft is going to make you play like a god, no new cue is going to give you what you don't already have in terms of skills and ability.

In my opinion, there are no magic bullets. Constantly changing from one thing to another, hinders the development of consistent results.

I think it's better to stick to one cue, one tip, and go from there to develop consistency. You can't develop consistent results if you are constantly switching tips, shafts, and / or cues because each change introduces new variables.

The best thing you can do for your game is to seek out a good qualified instructor who will analyze your mechanics and help you to develop a consistent, reliable stroke. Scott Lee, Randy G, or one of the other SPF (Set, Pause, Finish) instructors would be a good choice. I learned more, and improved more, from a short time spent with Mr. Lee than from anything else I had ever tried before (thank you Scott).

So my advice is..first develop your game, spend some time with a really good instructor, and don't worry about not having the latest "hot" tip, shaft, or cue. Now, once you have done that-- then feel free to try some new gear. When you find something you really like, stick to it!

FWIW, I prefer a solid hard rock maple shaft with a plain old inexpensive LePro or Triangle tip. I have a Cue Companion repair lathe and I have a stock of all kinds of laminated tips, but for me, nothing beats a good non-laminated tip. YMMV
    Last edited by DiabloViejo; 03-30-2013 at 11:27 AM.

I like to play with a triangle tip.

I can't argue with your statements about spending time with a good instructor. I've spent time with both Scott and Randy and it was definitely time well spent. I've also spent a little time with Fran Crimi in NYC and she is great instructor.

I also agree that there is no magic bullet, however, I do believe you have to find a cue/shaft/tip combination that you are comfortable with and that may take some time, especially for the tip. Before you can say that a tip is best for you, you have to try a number of tips to learn what you like and dislike. The same goes for cues and shafts but you can't change them as easily. It's best to just try a number of cues before buying one.

Personally, I like the solid maple shafts made by the cue makers who made my cues. Most cue makers put a lot of time and effort into producing the best possible shafts and I've never found anything better in an after market shaft. I have several cues, by diffeernt makers, but they all hit very similar to each other so there is no big transition when I switch cues.

The big variable is the tip. For a long time I was very content with a Moori soft tip and that is what I had on all of my cues. However, from all reports, Moori and the hog farmers who supplied the skins were wiped out in the sunami a couple of years ago. Some Mooris are around but so are a bunch of counterfit Mooris. Nobody seems to know which ones are real and which ones aren't. Currently, I just can't trust them. Right now, I am on a quest for a new tip and I'll probably be changing tips every few months until I find something I like.

I think what he means is that until you get to a certin skill level you wouldnt know the right cue and tip if someone handed it to you.

Rich you should try a regular triangle tip after you put it in a c clamp for about a week then shape it like a dime.

There are no magic bullets -- yes, a good instructor for sure -- but i still think that the best way to learn something iz to write a book about it.
    mac.

Quote Originally Posted by WV Slim Shady View Post
    Rich you should try a regular triangle tip after you put it in a c clamp for about a week then shape it like a dime.
    Slim, you obviously like a harder tip than me. I'm basing this opinion on the fact that you clamp the tip for a week before installing it.
    My taste runs toward softer tips. Many cue makers use Triangle tips as their standard tip and several of my cues came with Triangles. When they are new, without clamping, I really like them and if I could change tips every two weeks I would use them all of the time. However, I find that they compress and get too hard for my taste, in about two weeks, and I have to take them off.

Let me qualify my statements.
    I like softer tips but not the real soft, single layer, variety. The single layer variety of soft tips are too soft for my taste and they also mushroom a lot. I guess I should say I like a medium tip but to get a true medium tip, I buy multi-layered soft tips, which tend to be harder than single layer soft tips and they do not mushroom much if at all.

I here you Rich but by pressing it you end up with a tip that expands back to about where it would egin if ever put into te press. Give it a try and pay it for a month and f you dont like it Im not offended.

Well Slim, I don't really think that the tip would get softer by pressing it in a vise. However, right now, I'll have to take your word for it anyway. I'm recovering from shoulder surgery and I can't play with any tip right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich R. View Post
    Well Slim, I don't really think that the tip would get softer by pressing it in a vise. However, right now, I'll have to take your word for it anyway. I'm recovering from shoulder surgery and I can't play with any tip right now.
    It wont get softer from being in the press because that presses it tighter. When out of the press it unpresses some instead of getting harder from playing.