Top 10 Worst Things about the Republicans' Immoral Budget
The Republican budget would:
1. Destroy 700,000 jobs, according to an independent economic analysis.
2. Zero out federal funding for National Public Radio and public television.
3. Cut $1.3 billion from community health centers--which will deprive more than three million low-income people of health care over the next few months.
4. Cut nearly a billion dollars in food and health care assistance to pregnant women, new moms, and children.
5. Kick more than 200,000 children out of pre-school by cutting funds for Head Start.
6. Force states to fire 65,000 teachers and aides, dramatically increasing class sizes, thanks to education cuts.
7. Cut some or all financial aid for 9.4 million low- and middle-income college students.
8. Slash $1.6 billion from the National Institutes of Health, a cut that experts say would "send shockwaves" through cancer research, likely result in cuts to Alzheimer's and Parkinson's research, and cause job losses.
9. End the only federal family planning program, including cutting all federal funding that goes to Planned Parenthood to support cancer screenings and other women's health care.
10. Send 10,000 low-income veterans into homelessness by cutting in half the number of veterans who get housing vouchers this year.
1. "GOP spending plan would cost 700,000 jobs, new report says,"The Washington Post, February 28, 2011
2. "GOP budget would cut funding for public broadcasting," The Washington Independent, February 14, 2011
3. "NACHC Statement in Response to the Budget from the House Appropriations Committee," National Association of Community Health Centers website, accessed March 4, 2011
4."Bye Bye, Big Bird. Hello, E. Coli.," The New Republic, February 12, 2011
House Republican Spending Cuts Target Programs For Children And Pregnant Women
5. "Obama and the GOP's Spending Cuts: Where's the Outrage?"Mother Jones, February 18, 2011
7. "Deficit Reduction on the Backs of the Most Vulnerable," Center for American Progress, March 2011
8. "The GOP Budget and Cancer--Why New Research Is at Risk," Politics Daily, February 27, 2011
"Republican Budget Cuts at Heart of Medical Research: Albert Hunt," Bloomberg, February 20, 2011
"Durbin: Cuts to NIH put research jobs at risk," Business Week, February 28, 2011
9. "GOP Spending Plan: X-ing Out Title X Family Planning Funds,"Wall Street Journal, February 9, 2011
10. "House GOP Spending Cuts Would Prevent 10,000 Low-Income Veterans From Receiving Housing Assistance," Think Progress, March 1, 2011