Thread: Herbert's Billiards?

Herbert's Billiards?

What happened. It was one of my favorite places whenever id get to jersey. I had a couple of good customers there. I could always fatten up some on my way back down home.

Where in Jersey was Herbert's? I'll see if I can find anything out.

Secaucus new jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by WV Slim Shady View Post
    What happened. It was one of my favorite places whenever id get to jersey. I had a couple of good customers there. I could always fatten up some on my way back down home.
    Herbert's closed a few years ago. I heard that the owner (Mel) had been having cash flow problems and had lost a bundle gambling in Atlantic City and Vegas. I don't know if that's true or not, but it is what I heard. Perhaps the property owners (Hartz Mountain Industries) priced the lease out of a reasonable range for a profitable billiard room operation.

Herbert's was once of the nicest pool halls in Northern New Jersey and hosted APA leagues (in-house divisons) around four times a week. It had a great bar, good food, friendly staff, and loads of free parking. I played on a team out of Herbert's back in '03 to '05. Near the end the whole place had deteriorated to a disheveled condition and there was an awful smell from leaky bathroom plumbing that was never fixed. I'm not even sure if the old site was kept as is, or if it was converted for another type of business.

The players and action are all at Castle Billiards now. Castle has been around for ages and is still an excellent, well run pool hall. The owner and staff are super nice people, the drinks are priced very fairly, and the food is good. Castle is about 10 minutes by car from Mill Creek Mall (where Herbert's was located). Here is their info:

349 State Rt 17 S
    East Rutherford, NJ 07073
    (201) 933-6007
    http://www.castlebilliards.com

Thanks diabloviejo. Ill check it out ext time im up that way. Hope i can run into my old regulars.

DiabloViejo summed it up. Willow also closed (another decent poolroom in that area). The only one left might be Hi Tech in Weehauken. Not a great room, but it's close by.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Eric. View Post
    DiabloViejo summed it up. Willow also closed (another decent poolroom in that area). The only one left might be Hi Tech in Weehauken. Not a great room, but it's close by.

Eric
    Hi Tech is a dump. The tables are poorly maintained, the cloth is worn, filthy, and hasn't been changed in ages. The rest rooms are filthy and smelly. The spectator chairs are cheap plastic lawn chairs from Walmart and you sit so low you can barely see the table. The drinks are horribly overpriced and the whole vibe is "stuck in the early 80's" bad. It makes you think that the place only exists to launder money.

Castle is a little further away from my home but I'll take Castle over Hi Tech any day! Castle Billiards is clean, the tables are in good shape, the cloth gets cleaned and changed on a regular basis, and the owner and staff are genuinely nice and friendly people. Plus, the drinks are priced fairly and the food is good.

It's a dirty rotten shame that there is not one decent pool hall left in all of Hudson County.

BTW, have you ever been to East Side Billiards in Manhattan? I'm wondering if it's worth the trip for me. They do have some nice specials on table time and drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by DiabloViejo View Post
    BTW, have you ever been to East Side Billiards in Manhattan? I'm wondering if it's worth the trip for me. They do have some nice specials on table time and drinks.
    I haven't been to East Side in a bunch of years. I would stop by once in a while, but haven't had a reason to be in the Upper East Side since Amsterdam Billiards closed their Upper East location. I heard they upgraded the table cloth and general room conditions a few years back (got rid of the red cloth). It might be worth a trip, to check it out...

Eric >wonders if I've met the Diablo

Quote Originally Posted by DiabloViejo View Post
    Hi Tech is a dump. The tables are poorly maintained, the cloth is worn, filthy, and hasn't been changed in ages. The rest rooms are filthy and smelly. The spectator chairs are cheap plastic lawn chairs from Walmart and you sit so low you can barely see the table. The drinks are horribly overpriced and the whole vibe is "stuck in the early 80's" bad. It makes you think that the place only exists to launder money.

Castle is a little further away from my home but I'll take Castle over Hi Tech any day! Castle Billiards is clean, the tables are in good shape, the cloth gets cleaned and changed on a regular basis, and the owner and staff are genuinely nice and friendly people. Plus, the drinks are priced fairly and the food is good.

It's a dirty rotten shame that there is not one decent pool hall left in all of Hudson County.

Eastside is a pretty high class joint to play at. Its a little expensive but most things in new york is.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric. View Post
    I haven't been to East Side in a bunch of years. I would stop by once in a while, but haven't had a reason to be in the Upper East Side since Amsterdam Billiards closed their Upper East location. I heard they upgraded the table cloth and general room conditions a few years back (got rid of the red cloth). It might be worth a trip, to check it out...

Eric >wonders if I've met the Diablo
    I think you may have. Did you use to post on RSB?

Are you in this photo? :