Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: California drought goes from bad to worse

  1. #1
    Senior Member DiabloViejo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    15,738

    Exclamation California drought goes from bad to worse

    It's now the worst drought in a millennium. SO FAR.

    California drought goes from bad to worse as state grapples with heat wave

    Experts say fix requires global effort going into an era of climate change in which ‘the temperature is essentially always conducive to drought’

    Lauren Gambino
    03/29/15
    The Guardian
    http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...ange?CMP=fb_us


    A concrete block that was used to moor a boat sits in dry cracked earth that used to be the bottom of Lake McClure in La Grange, California.

    Spring is starting to feel a lot like summer in California, as a record-setting heat wave punishes the parched state now in its fourth year of what is said to be theworst drought in a millennium.

    Experts say the scorching spring days are part of a long-term warming pattern – driven largely by human activity – that is increasing the chances that future droughts will be as bad as this one. At fault is a warm and dry weather combination, which exacerbates the already dire drought conditions by drying soil, melting snow and driving up water usage.

    “It’s like a one-two punch,” said Jeanine Jones, deputy drought manager for the state Department of Water Resources (DWR). “Not having enough water to fill our reservoirs and having the hot weather evaporate the little that we do have.”

    According to the most recent US drought report, moderately below-average precipitation, coupled with extremely above-average temperatures, has maintained or worsened drought conditions in California. The consequences have been devastating, from shriveling reservoirs to vanishing groundwater, dying crops, thinning herds and raging wildfires.

    California relies on a series of massive storms during the winter months to drop snow on the Cascades and Sierra Nevada mountain ranges. During the spring and summer months the snowpack, acting like a natural reservoir, melts as water demand rises.

    But the recent extremely warm weather has caused precipitation to fall as rain rather than snow. The effect is dramatically less snowpack melt from the state’s mountain ranges, which can provide as much as a third of California’s water supply.

    Read more here: http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...ange?CMP=fb_us
    If there is a dangerous forum ... that's the one. -- LWW (referring to BD NPR)

    First off ... nothing will stop ass killings entirely. -- LWW (AKA Vladimir Ulyanov, AKA WV Slim, AKA MrsLWW, ...)

    Where did there CEO go yo work at loser? -- LWW (Demonstrating his masterful command of the English language while masquerading as his wife Vladimir.)


  2. #2
    Senior Member DiabloViejo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    15,738
    R.I.P. California (1850-2016): What We’ll Lose And Learn From The World’s First Major Water Collapse

    http://www.feelguide.com/2015/03/22/r-i-p-california-1850-2016-what-well-lose-and-learn-from-the-worlds-first-major-water-collapse/
    If there is a dangerous forum ... that's the one. -- LWW (referring to BD NPR)

    First off ... nothing will stop ass killings entirely. -- LWW (AKA Vladimir Ulyanov, AKA WV Slim, AKA MrsLWW, ...)

    Where did there CEO go yo work at loser? -- LWW (Demonstrating his masterful command of the English language while masquerading as his wife Vladimir.)


  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    20,964
    Quote Originally Posted by DiabloViejo View Post
    It's now the worst drought in a millennium. SO FAR.

    California drought goes from bad to worse as state grapples with heat wave

    Experts say fix requires global effort going into an era of climate change in which ‘the temperature is essentially always conducive to drought’

    Lauren Gambino
    03/29/15
    The Guardian
    http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...ange?CMP=fb_us


    A concrete block that was used to moor a boat sits in dry cracked earth that used to be the bottom of Lake McClure in La Grange, California.

    Spring is starting to feel a lot like summer in California, as a record-setting heat wave punishes the parched state now in its fourth year of what is said to be theworst drought in a millennium.

    Experts say the scorching spring days are part of a long-term warming pattern – driven largely by human activity – that is increasing the chances that future droughts will be as bad as this one. At fault is a warm and dry weather combination, which exacerbates the already dire drought conditions by drying soil, melting snow and driving up water usage.

    “It’s like a one-two punch,” said Jeanine Jones, deputy drought manager for the state Department of Water Resources (DWR). “Not having enough water to fill our reservoirs and having the hot weather evaporate the little that we do have.”

    According to the most recent US drought report, moderately below-average precipitation, coupled with extremely above-average temperatures, has maintained or worsened drought conditions in California. The consequences have been devastating, from shriveling reservoirs to vanishing groundwater, dying crops, thinning herds and raging wildfires.

    California relies on a series of massive storms during the winter months to drop snow on the Cascades and Sierra Nevada mountain ranges. During the spring and summer months the snowpack, acting like a natural reservoir, melts as water demand rises.

    But the recent extremely warm weather has caused precipitation to fall as rain rather than snow. The effect is dramatically less snowpack melt from the state’s mountain ranges, which can provide as much as a third of California’s water supply.

    Read more here: http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...ange?CMP=fb_us
    As more people in the world suffer and die due to decades of FAILED REPIGLICAN POLICIES, FOREIGN, DOMESTIC AND ECONOMIC, the absurd denials of the Repiglican Corporate Fascist Oligarchy and its destruction of our planet, our Democracy, The Separation Of Church and State, their massive corruption, Greed and crimes against humanity since Ronald LIAR Reagan, and the Neocon American/Israeli/Institute's war machine, their power will finally be dismantled! They will have to hide their faces from the public view, finally! It's going to happen, as these corrupt Repiglican Governors are indicted one by one, and it looks like Christie will finally get his due for his lies and destruction in New Jersey!!! Today could be the day!!!

  4. #4
    Senior Member Sev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    State of Franklin.
    Posts
    9,636
    Perhaps large masses of people should not decide to live in regions that are historically arid.
    Not the most sound intellectual choice.

    Of course the real solution to solving the worlds pollution problem is reducing the planetary population to about 500,000,000.
    But hey. Some people believe its perfectly fine to have excessive and irresponsible human breeding.



    There isn't anything wrong with America that liberal ideology, properly applied by government experts, can't make worse.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ballarat Australia
    Posts
    5,918
    Quote Originally Posted by Sev View Post
    Perhaps large masses of people should not decide to live in regions that are historically arid. Not the most sound intellectual choice. Of course the real solution to solving the worlds pollution problem is reducing the planetary population to about 500,000,000. But hey. Some people believe its perfectly fine to have excessive and irresponsible human breeding.
    Sev -- Spoton. The main No1 problem with the world iz overpopulation. Then muslims. Then Christians. Then Jews. Then krappynomix.
    I am thinking that the population used to be 600,000,000 for a very long time. That figure would be good.
    All shood be atheists of course.
    Praps say 50% pooftas would be good.
    Arid areas shood hav free beer.
    mac.
    Last edited by cushioncrawler; 05-02-2015 at 04:09 AM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Sev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    State of Franklin.
    Posts
    9,636
    Quote Originally Posted by cushioncrawler View Post
    Sev -- Spoton. The main No1 problem with the world iz overpopulation. Then muslims. Then Christians. Then Jews. Then krappynomix.
    I am thinking that the population used to be 600,000,000 for a very long time. That figure would be good.
    All shood be atheists of course.
    Praps say 50% pooftas would be good.
    Arid areas shood hav free beer.
    mac.
    LOL. Thats an interesting line of thinking Mac.



    There isn't anything wrong with America that liberal ideology, properly applied by government experts, can't make worse.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •