Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got any poor sportsmanship stories?

Blog Entries

Got any poor sportsmanship stories?

Howdy Folks,

Tell us about your experiences with opponents who displayed poor sportsmanship>

Here's one from my history:

I (skill 6 at the time) was playing an APA 9 Ball match against a skill 9 player.

I was applying a newly playing philosophy - calculate three results of the current shot (success, fail to the pocket's left, and fail to the pocket's right). Basically, if I missed on either side of the pocket, the opponent would not have a decent shot. If I made it, I was golden for the next shot (or played safe).

Anyway, during the entire game, this guy never had a decent shot. As with all players who have lost control of the table, he started hitting the balls harder and harder. Eventually, I pulled down the win and he was 30+ points behind his point level.

I returned back to my case and was disassembling the stick when I heard a loud "Damn!". I turned around just in time to watch him fling his stick across three tables and bounce off the wall. There was a good 20 seconds of total silence in the place. I figured it would be a good time to get out and avoid the final hand shake. This was about four years ago, and the guy has turned down multiple opportunities to compete again.
    Allan P. Sand, PBIA/ACS Instructor (and Author)
    Billiards Blogs

Many years ago, when I was a kid, I worked in a poolroom and I saw many cues broken in different ways. Although I've never broken one myself, one of the reasons I buy expensive cues now is that I feel I'm less likely to break one myself.

In more recent history, I was playing an APA 8-ball match a few years ago and my team was neck and neck with the team we were playing. I was down on a shot and I saw my opponent moving around right in my line of sight, near the pocket. I made that shot, walked around the table to shoot in the opposite direction and, while down on the shot, I noticed my opponent had moved around the table to get into my line of sight again. This time he was jumping up and down like he was doing jumping jacks at the gym. Although I missed the shot this time, I can't totally say it was his fault but I didn't appreciate his tactics. I stopped, called him out and ripped him a new AH. Obviously his team wasn't happy with him either as he was no longer on their team the next session and I haven't seen him since.

I have to add, before anyone starts bashing the APA, this is the only bad experience I have had playing in the APA.

Sure, I'll play...

At a recent TAP league singles tourney, at the Super Billiards Expo 2013, I had to play a real gem of a player. I'll just give his initials: R I C K B A R R E T T E, from Worcester, MA.

This guy musta pulled 5-10 different moves, to try to shark me. The mild ones would be to jump up and get along side of me, to view the shot I was about to shoot. He even called a ref over to put me on the shot clock (I'm not THAT slow). At one point, even with a ref sitting there, he flat out cheated on a shot. I played a safe. I had 3 balls left (playing 8 ball) and he had 1 ball. He was hooked and needed to go 2 rails, to make the hit. He kicks, then hits my ball first, which was about a foot in front of his ball, then caroms into his ball. I walk to the table and ask "Rick, ball in hand, right"? You know what he says?! "No, I thought it was a good hit". Now, it wasn't even close. On top of that, there was a group of friends from another forum that was watching my match and they all saw the bad hit. To add some salt, the REF saw the hit, but wouldnt make a call cuz "no one asked him to watch the hit".

Long story short, after peppering him with snide and taunting comments for the rest of the match, I went on to beat him. Twice (thats how the format works).

Adios, mutha frogger.

Eric

Eric, I'm sorry to say but I believe, in that format, the ref did the correct thing by not making the call unless he was asked to watch it. That being said, I'm happy as heck that you beat the guy's butt.

So many come to mind, but I will mention a few.

Long ago there was a bet going on between 2 guys, Lenny and Gloves. Not sure what went wrong, but the next thing I know, the biggest guy in the place is chasing the smallest guy out the door. Big Lenny couldn't catch Gloves, so he picked up a couple of pool balls. On his way out the door, Lenny almost hit Gloves with one shot.... but the balls ended up hitting the front glass instead. One went just above the front door glass, and went through clean like a bullet. Gloves got away, but went on to get busted for jewelry heists.

Another night, Steve the(enter anti semitic name here) was playing another Steve, Steve To. It was a close match, but To was winning. To sinks a 9 ball, and the lone cue ball is headed up table, nowhere near a pocket. Steve To picks up the cue ball just before it stops, and the other Steve calls a foul. You know what happens from here.....

Last one, always the quick version. I'm playing at some strange bar I've never been to. Theres a small room in the back, no action and not much interest in the table. So I start shooting and some drunk girl comes along and says she knows me and she can beat me. I chuckle and rack the balls. She breaks, and just by her form I can see she has no chance. She tries to talk me out of my shots, but its not working. So she lifts up her leg and sticks her high heel right in the corner pocket! She did have underwear on, but that was too much for me. I am cracking up, probably had a few beers myself. She refuses to move her foot out of the pocket, forcing me to shoot a bank, which I miss. She starts talking trash now, saying how she told me so, etc. Its my turn again, and this time she takes out her naked breast, and sticks it in the side pocket I'm trying to shoot at. At that point I realize shes right, I'm beat!

Quote Originally Posted by Bambu View Post
    So many come to mind, but I will mention a few.

Last one, always the quick version. I'm playing at some strange bar I've never been to. Theres a small room in the back, no action and not much interest in the table. So I start shooting and some drunk girl comes along and says she knows me and she can beat me. I chuckle and rack the balls. She breaks, and just by her form I can see she has no chance. She tries to talk me out of my shots, but its not working. So she lifts up her leg and sticks her high heel right in the corner pocket! She did have underwear on, but that was too much for me. I am cracking up, probably had a few beers myself. She refuses to move her foot out of the pocket, forcing me to shoot a bank, which I miss. She starts talking trash now, saying how she told me so, etc. Its my turn again, and this time she takes out her naked breast, and sticks it in the side pocket I'm trying to shoot at. At that point I realize shes right, I'm beat!
    Geez, Bambu.

I'm sure you realized that she was more interested in you and not Pool, right?

Eric >or, she was a working girl

Lol Eric, yeah I knew that. I'm shallow and all, but she was just too drunk to be taken advantage of. Probably couldn't even stumble out to my car!

Another bad sport story:

I don't like this one so much because its just bad for pool. I wouldn't want to post this on AZB, but its true.

One night around 5 years ago I am invited to act as a BCA referee at a charity pool tournament. This was done by Justin Tucker, pro football player. (It wasn't like they singled me out, I think all the instructors in the area were invited.)
    So they assign all of us to our tables for the night, and the tournament begins. Theres lots of drinking going on, open bar. And with that, loads of time between matches. The place is pretty packed out, but there aren't any players there because theyre all celebrities.

Next thing I know, Mika is at my table looking for a game. He's not in the tournament, and not looking to hustle. He just looked bored, not sure if he may have been with anybody. So maybe around 5 or 6 random people come up to play him, but only because the table is open. Nobody says much to Mika, or seems to know who he is. After beating up on the 5 or 6 people, the rest of the crowd loses interest in playing next. They disperse, and the table is empty again. Just Mika and I now.

This sat well with me because the whole time I am just dying to play him a game, and this is now my big chance. Its not everyday I get to play against a pro. I rack the balls, and Mika lays down a monster break. But the table is such a pos, he breaks dry! I look at the balls, and start licking my chops because 8-ball layouts don't come much easier. I start my run, and come up near perfect on the 8 ball. Now I know its over. I shouldn't have, but I just couldn't help myself. At that point I look up at Mika. Don't know if I was looking for courtesy, or a simple nod. But, he was GONE......never to return to my area for the rest of the night!

I know a guy what cant make three balls on a row that loves to mouth off and cause trouble and then cry foul on every game he loses.

the real problem with your story is that anyone would take part in the apa's moronic application of nine ball.