Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions

Suggestions

If you have not read our statement regarding the recent posts <a target="_blank" href=http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/comments.htm>read this</a> first.

We will be using this forum for suggestions on how to encourage civil
    discussion on the CCB. Below are some links to past ideas that have
    been suggested in this forum.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccbboard&amp;Number=36 943&amp;page=0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=7&amp;o=0 &amp;fpart=>Timefor CCB forum changes</a>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccbboard&amp;Number=42 667&amp;page=0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=7&amp;o=3 1&amp;fpart=>ATTN. CCBADMINISTRATION &amp; CCB FAMILY</a>

We are in the process of upgrading the forum, and will keep you updated on its progress.

We thank your patience and understanding.

Re: Suggestions

The first thing I would do is get rid of the top ten hall of shame. You have some worthless posters whose only purpose in life seems to be progressing higher on the list. Eliminate the cumulative number and go to a weekly or monthly list if you must. I know the only time I made the top ten on the old board I realized that it was time to shut up.
    Same thing for the most active threads. There is no purpose served by this list. We see the same old threads brought to the top over and over when there is nothing more that might be related to the topic that can possibly be said.
    BW

I don't know of any way to make people behave, unless you are going to intercept and pass judgment on every post prior to letting it appear on the forum. The reality will probably turn out to be that we will encounter posters who have nothing against ruining the forum for all. I don't have much confidence in the good intentions of everyone.

Mechanically, perhaps a thread could be programmed to accept no more than, for instance, twenty posts before self-destructing permanently. The topic can always be presented again - this happens all the time - but the thread itself would be prevented from dragging on too long or being returned to the current screen.

I suggest that Anonymous be banned from the board. She has been the cause of considerable conflict on the board. Eliminate the default screen name and make everyone at least type something in before a post is accepted.

Also bring back IP numbers. I know that most of them trace to AOL but they at least give some information about a poster. Just because one person insisted that he could identify everyone by the numbers is no reason to have eliminated them.
    BW

I favor registration being required to post. I have served as a moderator on a large forum where this was done, and we didn't encounter nearly the problems I see here. You could also appoint a few of the more mature regulars as moderators and allow them the ability to close threads, delete, and even boot repeat offenders off. This would be a no cost and effective way for you to have monitoring of the site nearly all the time, without the webmaster having to be burdened with it. I have seen these suggestions work first hand in a similar environment. (One with about 14,000 registered members the last time I looked) Those that oppose registration are just as anonomous with a made up nickname as they are posting anonomously. The only difference is that if they are offenders, they are more quickly identified. The Ip's could be made available to the moderators, and not necessarily need to be posted.

My suggestions are ::

1.. Require that every poster be registered. Personal info such as e-mail address can be blocked from view, but the Webmaster must have access to a valid e-mail address, name, etc.

2.. One incidence of profanity gets a warning. The second incidence bans the poster by having the registration deleted. (Yes, that person could re-register, but that should necessitate a new e-mail address, etc., that could easily be verified by the Webmaster.

If you don't know what profanity is, try this simple test --
    Would you use that language when communicating with your Mother, Grandmother or 12 year old Daughter ???

3.. Alter the Board format slightly so that posts are in chronological order based on the time/date of the FIRST entry of the thread. (Most recent on top.) This would prevent old threads from coming back to the top and would also make it much easier for users to locate a specific thread.

4.. Severe incidence of "flaming" should be deleted in its entirety. Not just the single "flame" post, but the entire thread.

Troy...~~~ Welcomes some changes..... [img]/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

i agree with all the above responses. i would also make everyone post a name or atleast something. Then if they cause a disruption on the board you could block them from posting further. I realize you take someone's email address when they sign up but alot of people i know have more than 1 email address. I must admit that i to have been guilty of a personal attack on here and for that i apologize for. the worst thing that could happen would be for the board to shut down and give the trouble makers their way. it seems that that is all they are looking for. I recently attended the CCB tournament in Virginia and i must say that you would never meet so many people anywhere with more of a passion for the game. So please come up with a viable solution and do not shut down the board.....mike
    love the game, play the game. Don't complain.... LIFE IS JUST TO DAM SHORT.........mike

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: beerwolf:</font><hr>1) The first thing I would do is get rid of the top ten hall of shame. Eliminate the cumulative number and go to a weekly or monthly list. I know the only time I made the top ten on the old board I realized that it was time to shut up.
    2)Same thing for the most active threads. There is no purpose served by this list.<hr></blockquote>Top Ten Posters
    Beerwolf, despite being drunk, is right on about the Top Ten Hall Of Shame. If implimented to show the persons who made the most posts recently, say in the last 300 or 500; it becomes a useful indicator to highlight who has probably been blathering too much, although sometimes it just means that a person has been contributing a lot of useful information to the board of late, in which case no one will mind.

The overall number of posts a person has made over the life of the board is an interesting bit of trivia, but not nearly as useful on an ongoing basis.

Most Active Threads
    Beerwolf's second suggestion proves that every drinker reaches a point where they can no longer think clearly. The Most Active Threads is a neat ever-changing list that shows the all-time favorite topics of those in the CCB Community. It is an accurate reflection of the social, recreational, and general and specific interests of those that play pool.

There are always some people who won't like what the most popular topics are. For instance, I am personally flabbergasted that more people are interested in discussing sexy WPBA vixens than in considering statistics, probability, and how IQ relates to understanding the physics and geometry of the game. However, my personal predjudices are unimportant compared to knowing where the interests of most pool players lie, and the usefulness of that data for marketing and sales purposes.

=TB=

Anonymi

While this board has always possessed a certain amount of anonymity to those that desired it, it is without doubt that the recent decision to remove IP Addresses, which I previously supported, has created a level of anonymity that's resulted in an outpouring of obnoxious vitriol perpetrated by those whose baser instincts sometimes dominate their higher aspirations.

It is unquestioned by all except those who revel in chaos that removing some of this anonymity would result in a better board. The only question is how should this change be effected: registration or show IP addresses, or both. I would advocate simply going back to the IP addy system at this time.

=TB=

Dear Sir or Maddam,

You have access to the IP adresses and know or can find out who the flame posters are. I suggest you just block them from posting. Their only purpose in life is to cause problems and have nothing to do with pool.

Make the board members registar and make them accountable for what they say.

Regards,

C.C.