Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: APA 8-ball Team Nationals in August

APA 8-ball Team Nationals in August

Anybody going?

After being bridesmaids at least three times in 13 years we finally won our first City Championship Tournament last week. Now I feel like the dog that chased cars for years until he finally caught one and he doesnt know what to do with it :-)

Seriously, it's going to be fun. I've been out there twice with my wife who qualified with an APA Ladies team. I played in some minis and actually won one, a board of 16 s/l 5's. The minis are very well run and I had a chance t tell Terry Bell that personally. (He was wearing a very nice suit BTW :-) ).

I would love to hear from anyone who is going or anyone who has been there and done that.

Wally

PS: It's been five years since my last post. Good to see y'all.

I wish I could help you out but I've never been there in all my years with the APA.
    I just wanted to say it is good to hear from you and I'm happy to see that you are still playing.
    Good luck in Vegas.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally in Cincy View Post
    Anybody going?

After being bridesmaids at least three times in 13 years we finally won our first City Championship Tournament last week. Now I feel like the dog that chased cars for years until he finally caught one and he doesnt know what to do with it :-)

Seriously, it's going to be fun. I've been out there twice with my wife who qualified with an APA Ladies team. I played in some minis and actually won one, a board of 16 s/l 5's. The minis are very well run and I had a chance t tell Terry Bell that personally. (He was wearing a very nice suit BTW :-) ).

I would love to hear from anyone who is going or anyone who has been there and done that.

Wally

PS: It's been five years since my last post. Good to see y'all.
    I was there back in '04 with my 8 ball team. Stayed at the Riviera,because it was convenient.

The minis were a lot of fun and there was also under the table action in the practice ballroom. One kid about..oh.. 12 years old, was robbing people playing nine ball.

The wagers ran the full gamut from friendly cheap action to hundreds of dollars or more.

One of the guys on my team was out $1500 in one action match. I don't gamble much myself.

When not playing I enjoyed a few buffets..one at the Rio (Seafood), and another at the Bellagio (prime rib). I also got around and saw a concert (Phil Collins) and saw "Cirque De Soleil" (all great).

The one thing I can't forget is the brutal desert heat in the daytime. Holy sh*t, it was like sticking my head into an oven set on broil! So plan your daytime activities wisely!

BTW, congratulations on your win and I wish you and all the members of the team all the best out there. Like my friend Billy likes to say.."Go get 'em, pimp!"
    If there is a dangerous forum ... that's the one. -- LWW (referring to BD NPR)

First off ... nothing will stop ass killings entirely. -- LWW (AKA Vladimir Ulyanov, AKA WV Slim, AKA MrsLWW, .....)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich R. View Post
    I wish I could help you out but I've never been there in all my years with the APA.
    I just wanted to say it is good to hear from you and I'm happy to see that you are still playing.
    Good luck in Vegas.
    Thanks Rich. I never stoped playing APA even though I get fed up with it sometimes. Now I'm glad I stuck with it.

Our Cincinnati Straight Pool League went belly-up from apathy a few years ago and I got a bit complacent about pool. In Oct. 2011 I had open-heart quadruple bypass surgery (much better now thank you) and I could not play for several weeks or months. I really missed it and it gave me a whole new appreciation for the game. I actually started practicing again and everything.

Diablo thanks for the advice. Like I said, I have been there before and you are correct the sun ia a killer. I don't know if anybody remembers "sjm" from AZB but we were having an outdoor lunch one hot day and he said something funny. "Now I know what a pop-tart feels like".

Quote Originally Posted by Wally in Cincy View Post
    Thanks Rich. I never stoped playing APA even though I get fed up with it sometimes. Now I'm glad I stuck with it.

Our Cincinnati Straight Pool League went belly-up from apathy a few years ago and I got a bit complacent about pool. In Oct. 2011 I had open-heart quadruple bypass surgery (much better now thank you) and I could not play for several weeks or months. I really missed it and it gave me a whole new appreciation for the game. I actually started practicing again and everything.

Diablo thanks for the advice. Like I said, I have been there before and you are correct the sun ia a killer. I don't know if anybody remembers "sjm" from AZB but we were having an outdoor lunch one hot day and he said something funny. "Now I know what a pop-tart feels like".
    I'm happy to hear the bypass worked and you are feeling better now. I've had some problems of my own but all we can do is keep plugging away.
    I'm also happy that you are still playing and doing well.

First of all, wish you a hearty congratulations. Sorry, I cannot join you there. I wish you win in Vegas. Good Luck!

OMG...our prodigal son returns. Where ya been, Wally?

My wife(I got married, since) and I will be going Aug 16 thru 21. Unfortunately, I didnt win, to get there. I'm doing "Plan B"- paying for it myself.

I've got time to hang, if you do...

P.S.-done it many times...what do you want to know?

Eric
    Last edited by Eric.; 06-03-2013 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric. View Post
    OMG...our prodigal son returns. Where ya been, Wally?
    I"ve been around Eric. I just got out of the habit of posting. It got to the point where everything had been said I guess.

My wife(I got married, since) and I will be going Aug 16 thru 21.
    Congratulations. I got married in 2009 after being engaged and owning a home together for 6 years.

I will be there Aug. 18 thru 25. We should be able to find time to have a beer or something. Hopefully my team will be busy playing, plus I'm the captain so I will certainly have my hands full herding my sheep.

P.S.-done it many times...what do you want to know?

Eric
    I've been there twice as a spectator. I know where the Peppermill and the Splash Bar and the tournament room are so I'm good there.

Eric your PM box is full

I gotta sort out my PM box. If you email me, I'll send my cell phone number too:

My email: hogspeed@gmail.com

I'm there from Aug 16 thru the 21. we can play phone tag in Vegas...

Eric