Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Billiard University (BU) - free playing-ability exams and rating system

How much is a diploma if slim borows a web camera.

Quote Originally Posted by WV Slim Shady View Post
    How much is a diploma if slim borows a web camera.
    The different pricing options are here: BU diploma and DVD prices. If you decide to not purchase a diploma, please post your scores (and videos if available) anyway.

Thanks,
    Dave

Hi Dave,

I took a quick look through the stuff, and will take more time later, but I did have one quick question. On your page which compares ranking systems, you show "Fargo" as having a ratings range from zero to 750+, with no max.

The game of Fargo with which I am familiar is an equal-offense-type game where you try to run a rack of 15 balls. You run them in random order for 1 point per ball, and can switch to rotation order at any time for two points per ball. So, the maximum score for a rack is 30 points if you run all 15 in rotation. The rules that I downloaded about 15 years ago indicated that a typical "test" session would consist of 10 innings, or a max score of 300 points, and had a ratings scale based on that.

In your table, what are the assumptions for Fargo scoring? By the normal Fargo rules, the max would have to be an integer multiple of 30.

SpiderMan
    Last edited by SpiderMan; 06-18-2013 at 03:00 PM.
    "If it's yellow and smells bad, it must be nine-ball. Or a diaper (or a Frenchman)."

Quote Originally Posted by dr_dave View Post
    Eric,

I don't think I was ever as bad as you and Spidey tried to make me out to be; but you are right ... I have gotten better, and I continue to do so. Isn't interesting how practice and table time actually help with execution.

FYI, my 135 was on an 8' table with fairly generous pockets, so that is a factor. I obviously would not have scored as high on a 9' or 10' table with tight pockets. That's why we list table info on the BU graduates page. Equipment and conditions (e.g., cleanliness and humidity) are definitely factors.

Regardless, I do consider myself a "B+" or "A-" player ... "A" on a good day, so I think my BU rating is accurate for the given equipment (per the BU Rating System Comparison Chart).

Have you tried the exams yet? I hope you do, and I hope you decide to post your scores (and videos if you have a camera).

Regards,
    Dave
    Dave,

I don't recall trying to paint you as a poor player. If so, I apologize - it would be very out of character for me to tell anyone that they were "bad", even if I believed it to be true. But as I recall we played on one occasion only, and I don't even remember how we matched up.

I might be brutally honest when discussing any particular player's skills with another player, but I like to believe I have more sense than to say something deliberately discouraging to anyone (regardless of skill level). Hopefully I did not have an asshole moment.

SpiderMan
    Last edited by SpiderMan; 06-18-2013 at 03:43 PM.
    "If it's yellow and smells bad, it must be nine-ball. Or a diaper (or a Frenchman)."

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderMan View Post
    Hi Dave,

I took a quick look through the stuff, and will take more time later
    Please post your score (and videos if possible) after you practice some. We haven't had anybody here participate on this forum yet. On the AZB thread, we've had quite a few already. I look forward to any feedback or suggestion you might have after you go through the process. In particular, I would like to know how well you think your BU rating matches your actual level of play.

but I did have one quick question. On your page which compares ranking systems, you show "Fargo" as having a ratings range from zero to 750+, with no max.

The game of Fargo with which I am familiar is an equal-offense-type game where you try to run a rack of 15 balls. You run them in random order for 1 point per ball, and can switch to rotation order at any time for two points per ball. So, the maximum score for a rack is 30 points if you run all 15 in rotation. The rules that I downloaded about 15 years ago indicated that a typical "test" session would consist of 10 innings, or a max score of 300 points, and had a ratings scale based on that.

In your table, what are the assumptions for Fargo scoring? By the normal Fargo rules, the max would have to be an integer multiple of 30.
    The Fargo Player Rating and Handicapping System, on which the BU rating comparisons are based, is very different from the the drill or game Fargo ... hence the confusion.

It's good to hear from you again. It's been a long time. That's too bad this forum isn't as active as it used to be.

Catch you later,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Eric. View Post
    To give some constructive feedback, i feel that your exams, while good and comprehensive, need one more thing; the "put-it-all-together" test. You should add in the Joe Tucker 10 ball ghost rating test as your "final exam". Why? Well, drills are good for demonstrating ability and building skill thru repetition, BUT... doing the same exact set-up drills over and over only shows that you've mastered that particular set up shot. After shooting that set up shot a few dozen times, you should have it down pretty good. Thing is, how many times will you get that exact shot in a match? More likely, it will be a slight variation of it. That's why the Joe Tucker 10 ball drill adds in some "real life" situations due to the open break and randomness of ball layouts. It forces the student to adjust their play a bit, when they don't get the exact layout of the old, familiar drill shots.

Long story, longer...I like the program that your group put together. I feel that the ratings are a lil high i.e. an "A" should be more like a "B", but i know this is subjective. Again, if you added the Joe Tucker 10 Ball Ghost rating drill as your final exam, i think it would be a more thorough test. Perhaps, you can find a way to incorporate the JT 10 Ball scores into your final tallies.

Eric
    Eric,

How do you rate Fargo as a more random test of offensive skills? Personally, after trying Fargo, I haven't found any other equal-offense-type exercise that seems to bring anything additional to the table.

SpiderMan
    Last edited by SpiderMan; 06-18-2013 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_dave View Post
    Eric,

I don't think I was ever as bad as you and Spidey tried to make me out to be; but you are right ... I have gotten better, and I continue to do so. Isn't interesting how practice and table time actually help with execution.

FYI, my 135 was on an 8' table with fairly generous pockets, so that is a factor. I obviously would not have scored as high on a 9' or 10' table with tight pockets. That's why we list table info on the BU graduates page. Equipment and conditions (e.g., cleanliness and humidity) are definitely factors.

Regardless, I do consider myself a "B+" or "A-" player ... "A" on a good day, so I think my BU rating is accurate for the given equipment (per the BU Rating System Comparison Chart).

Have you tried the exams yet? I hope you do, and I hope you decide to post your scores (and videos if you have a camera).
    Dave,

I don't recall trying to paint you as a poor player. If so, I apologize - it would be very out of character for me to tell anyone that they were "bad", even if I believed it to be true. But as I recall we played on one occasion only, and I don't even remember how we matched up.

I might be brutally honest when discussing any particular player's skills with another player, but I like to believe I have more sense than to say something deliberately discouraging to anyone (regardless of skill level). Hopefully I did not have an asshole moment.
    Sorry for the confusion. The "Spidey" in that quote is "SpiderWebComm" on the AZB forum. Eric and Spidey seemed to be on a mission to discredit me several years ago; and they are both much better players than me, so some people were listening; although, I'm sure you could probably give them a good game.

I remember playing you in Dallas (about 8 years ago?) at the old Petty place. I'm a much better player than I was back then, but I knew enough to recognize that you were a good player on that bar box. Regardless, it was fun hanging with you, the D-man, and the gang.

Catch you later,
    Dave

The site of the Billiards University looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoydgame View Post
    The site of the Billiards University looks great.
    Thanks! Have you tried the exams yet? If and when you do, please consider posting your score and comments.

Regards,
    Dave