Thread: GOP Rep. says women should give birth to fetuses with no brain activity

Angry GOP Rep. says women should give birth to fetuses with no brain activity

I guess this is because Louie is happy that as a fetus, he was not aborted when his brain showed no activity.

GOP Rep. says women should give birth to fetuses with no brain activity

By Robert Sobel
    May 24, 2013
    http://www.examiner.com/article/gop-...brain-activity

Republicans have been known to make statements about abortion and a woman's right to choose that are a bit uncomfortable. During a recent hearing to debate the proposed 20-week abortion ban, a Republican congressman continued the trend.

According to Raw Story, a hearing was taking place at the House Judiciary Subcommittee on the Constitution and Civil Justice in regard to the proposed 20 week abortion ban, or the "Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act." During the hearing,Christy Zink testified and told her story of becoming pregnant and having her child suffer great trauma.

"I am here today to speak out against the so-called Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act. Its very premise—that it prevents pain—is a lie. If this bill had been passed before my pregnancy, I would have had to carry to term and give birth to a baby whom the doctors concurred had no chance of a life and would have experienced near-constant pain. If he had survived the pregnancy—which was not certain—he might never have left the hospital. My daughter’s life, too, would have been irrevocably hurt by an almost always-absent parent."

After Zink was finished speaking, Texas Congressman Louie Gohmert (R) spoke about his own experience, citing the birth of his daughter.

"Being there in a neonatal ICU, I did see that there was one child there that was missing parts including a spine and the parents ended up, when it was clear that there was no brain activity whatsoever, there was decisions that they had to make at that point.”

Gohmert continued, and stated that the parents should just wait until the fetus, alive with no brain activity, was born before they decide about the fate of the child instead of just having a safe and legal abortion.

“Ms. Zink, having my great sympathy and empathy both, I still come back wondering, shouldn’t we wait, like that couple did, and see if the child can survive before we decide to rip him apart?...So, these are ethical issues, they’re moral issues, they’re difficult issues, and the parents should certainly be consulted...But it just seems like, it’s a more educated decision if the child is in front of you to make those decisions.”

What Gohmert and other Republicans don't seem to realize is that their world view is not accepted by most Americans. To force a woman whose life could be on the line, to give birth to a child who has no chance of living, is just not practical. There is a fine line between being "pro-life" and being mentally competent, and Rep. Gohmert doesn't seem to know where that line is.
    If there is a dangerous forum ... that's the one. -- LWW (referring to BD NPR)

First off ... nothing will stop ass killings entirely. -- LWW (AKA Vladimir Ulyanov, AKA WV Slim, AKA MrsLWW, .....)

WE never hear Democrats making these kinds of stupid, irrational statements.

It's always a Repiglican.