Thread: Be an example

Be an example

I have lurked within this forum for years. During the league posts for TAP, APA and whatever, I found it very annoying to scroll through the arguments and posts that virtually did nothing but take up space. When I first started contributing my writings to messaeg boards and newsgroups several years back, I started doing so because I believed that was what the forum was for. In the past I have engaged in some internet bickering myself, which I fully admit. The problem with many forums such as this is the lack of positive issues being discussed. I believe that the message boards and newsgroups reflect the state of pocket billiards as a whole. We can't get ahead in the sports world mainly because we're too busy slashing each others throats. It's sad. The best thing I can do for the situation is make sure that I remain positive. I'm not saying that to sound righteous, I'm just passing along my solution to the problem. I find more and more that many contributors to message boards are there for the sole purpose to antagonize others. I have no problem with BD banning them from the site, but I do not believe that it will keep them away. It should be a privlige to contribute, not a right. If the privlige is abused, it should be taken away. Bickering in public solves nothing. Respond to your arguments via e-mail, as I and many others find no interest or entertainment value in a 200 post thread about APA vs TAP, or any other useless banter when one hard head does not see eye to eye with another. "Stirring things up" on a message board or newsgroup is not entertaining, useful, or attractive to new members.
    Blackjack David Sapolis
    Dead Stroke University
    Orlando, Florida

Re: Be an example

Good point, but I think it's become clear that as a rule people have a hard time ignoring attacks and malicious posts. I'm not sure it's even fair to ask them to ignore them. In many ways, the CCB is like a classroom. Do you punish the entire class for fighting back against the bad seeds or do you discipline the bad seeds? I think I prefer the second option. If you're asking for the posters to discipline themselves, it will never happen. If that were possible, we wouldn't need laws. But we do need them because someone is always out there pushing the envelope just to see how far they could go.

Anonymous poster who would be most happy to register under a better system.