Thread: What a screwy system

What a screwy system

OK, I am irrate again. I read on the news feeds that the imagration bill was voted on with the voters NOT even reading it first, and folks..."What the hell is the jobs of these elected officials about if they dont "HELLO" work and read what you are voting on. This is a trend that us voters have become use to and accepted for an unknown, resonable reason to me. Why can't we demand penalties, pay losses or even firings from these stuffy over paid talking heads for NOT EVEN READING A DAMNED BILL BEFORE VOTING? Public sector workers would get heat.

I somehow feel all alone here. Am I the only one? I am not talking Democrats or Republicans differences here, none seem to read these things, and this has happened for forever. Shouldn't reading it be in their job description?

What a screwy system, and complacent bunch of American voters we have developed into. martin
    Last edited by Sid_Vicious; 06-25-2013 at 10:07 PM.
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!"

Dear Martin,
    I hope you always vote!!!!

Not sure what you saw, where. I looked into it a bit, and the only references I saw to not reading the (Senate) bill were from HOUSE REPUBLICANS, who will not in any case vote on this Senate bill, but instead some other House bill (if it's ever allowed to be brought up in the House by Boehner, which is doubtful by all accounts).

As that particular man said, he doubted he'd read it, as he cannot vote on it (being a House member).

If that's what you saw, then it's of no consequence whatsoever.

If it is not what you saw, then what was meant was one of two things. This bill is some 1,000 pages long (albeit in huge typeface, very large margins, and extremely few words per page, so probably under 300 pages of normal type and margins as in a paperback or hardback book). MOST of the language is boilerplate technical 'fixes' as to how the bill changes OTHER LAWS in great specificity.

All that technical stuff is NOT what the bill means, which can be explained in a much shorter summary. It's written by committee staff once the main part of the bill is written, and IF the legislators read the technical stuff, they still would not necessarily follow it without help from legislative aides. That doesn't mean they don't know what the bill says (in the main), just that they may not know it requires changing the statements in the other hundred laws that applied in the past to the subject matter before this bill changed things.

That's the first possibility. The second is more innocent than the first I mention. That is 'the reading of the bill' (before the Congress itself) may have been waived. Usually standard MO is for bills to have SEVERAL readings (why I don't know unless for the benefit of the blind). Sometimes one or more of these normally required 'readings' is waived, and for a 1,000 plus page bill (even if it's only 300 real pages), literally reading it aloud in the chamber (over several hours) neither makes it read by nor understood by the members. (Members cannot follow something that lengthy in a verbal report, let alone know what it all means, if they are even there during the reading, which not all or most might be.)

Here's a Yahoo news article excerpt concerning the House v Senate role here as I mentioned.

Unlike their counterparts in the Senate, who have taken steps to pass the bill quickly, the House is in no rush to act.

In one important way, the roles between the two chambers are reversed. There is a long-standing Washington tradition in which the House passes bills and the Senate ceremonially (and proudly) ignores them. This time, the House is the saucer that will cool the Senate's tea. Or, to put it another way, House Republicans want to slow-jam the immigration bill; Senate Democrats are thinking more Busta Rhymes.

For the moment, the House seems to be enjoying the role-reversal. Some aren't even reading the Senate version at all.

“I have not gone through chapter and verse on the Senate bill," Roskam said. "I don’t think I’m going to be voting on the Senate bill, so it’s not as if I’m marinating in study.”
    Here for the rest of it: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/news/sen...155313110.html
    Last edited by Soflasnapper; 06-27-2013 at 03:01 PM.
    A medium sized fish [...]