Thread: Upstate NY Pool

Upstate NY Pool

When I first moved upstate about a year ago, I was all set to check out the 4 pool rooms in Kingston NY. I set out with my trusty GPS, and made the rounds to all 4 rooms. I returned feeling completely denied. Seeing that all 4 rooms had closed down was disappointing to say the least. Nothing in the Catskills, nothing in Liberty, Monticello, or Ellenville. Granted these aren't big towns, certainly not like Queens. But, they do all manage to have bowling alleys. Blah, I hate bowling.

Somebody tell me its just a bad dream I'm having. Please tell me my GPS just sucks, and not all rooms are easily found on the internet. I like it up here, but I miss the game. No offense to our box players, but bar pool just isn't for me. Apa bar pool.....please god, no.

I continued my search, expanding to Middletown, Poughkeepsie, New Paltz, and Newburgh. Generally, these are bigger cities than you see in the Catskills. I found rooms there, but only one I would call a players room, maybe two. Gallery Billiards in Newburgh seems like a great little room. But jeez, I have to drive an hour and change just to get there. It costs me more for gas than it does for table time.

Hopefully our economy picks up, makes owning a room more realistic.

Most of new yorks citys are dead for pool.

It looks like a business opportunity to me.

You are in an area that used to have 4 rooms. It should be able to support a room with 10 or 15 tables and if you could add a bar and soom decent food, you could have a real winner.

BTW, don't knock the APA. Not all APA leagues use bar boxes and travel. In house leagues, on big tables, during the week could easily pay your rent.
    Last edited by Rich R.; 06-27-2013 at 06:42 AM.

You're right, Rich. In fact, the rooms I did visit told me they were only able to stay open because of league play. I've considered my own room in the past, but the feeling goes away when I think about whats actually involved. I don't even know how much it would cost for a small, 7 table room. I do have land though. In theory, I could build one myself. But aside from the financial risk, the commitment of having to be there ALL the time, disturbs me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bambu View Post
    You're right, Rich. In fact, the rooms I did visit told me they were only able to stay open because of league play. I've considered my own room in the past, but the feeling goes away when I think about whats actually involved. I don't even know how much it would cost for a small, 7 table room. I do have land though. In theory, I could build one myself. But aside from the financial risk, the commitment of having to be there ALL the time, disturbs me.
    You can't be there all of the time and you can't do everything youself but you can have a few emplyees.
    Think about it.

I'd need a partner, someone willing to take it as seriously as I would. Someone I wouldn't want to strangle, like my wife.

If I were a few years younger, I would seriously consider it.

I hear you Rich, thanks anyway!

Yesterday I got lucky. Found a new local restaurant owned by a pool room owner. Not sure how the guy plays yet, but he threw a 9 foot Brunswick medalist in there. I'm starting to like him already.