Thread: tips

Hybrid View

tips

I had new tips put on my cues a while back and the person who did the work recommended elkmasters. i'd always used the harder leather but supposedly they were too hard and the elkmasters would be much better at avoiding miscues. so the tips are ok and I don't miscue often, but I never did miscue much and I find I cannot jump at all. i'm an old guy, and back in my day, there wasn't much emphasis on differing equipment, so i'm pretty ignorant of the new technologies. I don't (won't) use a jump cue. its like using a dictionary to do crosswords. so if somebody would like to respond, I would like to know what is the best tip to be able to jump with my playing cues. billy p

Slim believes the best ip out there is a triangle tip and i dont have no trouble jumping with it or braking with it.

The harder the tip and the lighter the cue, the better it will jump. Performance wise, I cant say I notice one tip jumping better than another. But that's because I use a medium type tip, not the best for jumping. Might want to consider using a light break cue with a plastic or hard leather tip. Triangles are good, but they arent layered. A good layered tip will cost more and last longer. Its more about the tip hardness and the speed of the delivery. Even with a hard tip, full ball jumps at close distance are tough with a full cue. For those I personally stick to half ball jumps, or pull out my jump cue. I'd only attempt a full cue jump with the blocking ball 4 feet away or more. On a small table, I doubt I could control the ball enough to stay on the table. To do that, I would use my break cue with a plastic tip. You just don't get much height with a full cue, you get distance.
    Last edited by Bambu; 06-30-2013 at 08:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bambu View Post
    The harder the tip and the lighter the cue, the better it will jump. Performance wise, I cant say I notice one tip jumping better than another. But that's because I use a medium type tip, not the best for jumping. Might want to consider using a light break cue with a plastic or hard leather tip. Triangles are good, but they arent layered. A good layered tip will cost more and last longer. Its more about the tip hardness and the speed of the delivery. Even with a hard tip, full ball jumps at close distance are tough with a full cue. For those I personally stick to half ball jumps, or pull out my jump cue. I'd only attempt a full cue jump with the blocking ball 4 feet away or more. On a small table, I doubt I could control the ball enough to stay on the table. To do that, I would use my break cue with a plastic tip. You just don't get much height with a full cue, you get distance.
    Now thats smart. Slim plays with a 17 ounce bar cue made into a two piece with a cut sown ferril and a triangle tip in a dime shape.

I karnt help here -- seeing az jump shots are illegal in english billiards, but all this tip talk iz interesting, and only last nite i pulled out some dusty drawers in my room and looked at some 13mm tips i got from theusofa years ago. I got me some BLUE soft, some TRIANGLE medhard, some KAMUI medium and medsoft, some TRIUMPH medsoft, some WATER BUFFALO hard, some ARAMITH medium, some MOORI soft.

That there TRIANGLE tip iz an ugly big dark fat thing. The back looks to be pigskin but it dont look to be layered so it must be elephant or crocodile.

I would luv to uze some of theze tips, specially the layered ones, but probly never will koz my cues are 9mm or 10mm. Anyhow keep talking.
    mac.