Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zero gravity.

Mac, are you living without a power bill, off the grid?

We are on (the end of) the grid. We got the power line extended over 1km. A neighbour with solarcells objekted to the extn. And the local environment group objekted, koz lots of trees hadtabe kut down or pruned (mostly on the road). This held up our permit for our house but in the end we got the ok. And then our underground connektion to the house (over 200m) kost us heaps.

We looked at solarcells. I reckon it would hav needed over $100,000 of cells and batterys.
    At prezent u kan get a subsidy if u install cells, and u kan then sell power to the grid. Some folks get their power for free (make a profit even). But we karnt be bothered with that stuff. Cells would look ugly on our house. Except that u karnt see the house from the street, and only the kangaroos and koalas kan see the house from the bush behind our joint.

We hav a phone landline, but no gas, and we harvest out own roof water. Krapp goze to a septik tank and then to seepage lines. A dish on our roof for emails and www.

Lots of folk round here hav big or small windturbines too -- dunno much about turbines. Anyhow we will hav the last larff when we install our aetherik-chimney-turbine -- hahhhahahaha.
    mac.
    Last edited by cushioncrawler; 08-06-2013 at 08:28 PM.

I have a well and septic myself, so I hear ya. I figured if living off the grid was do-able, you would be one of the first.

We lived with my bro next door for a year and he had a 3hp motormower engine running a car-generator feed 6 old truck batterys. After watching tv for 2hrs we would havta run the engine to watch more. And the wasps kept filling the invertors with mud -- expensive. Anyhow he iz now on the grid same az us. U kan opt to pay for green power, from wind turbines, costs more (just a pr excercise i think) -- i see they are installing 64 ovem about 12km from here. And there must allready be about 640 hereabouts.
    Anyhow one day someone will probly install some solarcells on the roof, feeding back into the grid (when we are gone).
    mac.

I've seen resorts completely independent, but not sure of the cost. There are people up here who have done it with solar panels, an inverter, and a series of marine batteries. Not very cost efficient though. And what they give back to the grid, helps the grid much more than them. If I could only get my mother in law to pedal a bicycle, I'd be set. Throw her a few clams, and that old battle axe drill sergeant can really get going!