Thread: The shot that eludes me.

The shot that eludes me.

There is a shot that I have witnessed a number of times, and I don't know how to do it. When I try to find out about it in books, online, or videos, etc.. I come up empty handed.

What I'm talking about is, when a guy shoots a thin cut shot at warp speed with high follow, and the cueball hits the rail at high speed but then just squats in place spinning furiously. It's a stop off a cushion. My gut tells me reverse english must be operating in the shot, but having attempted to replicate the action it is evident to me that speed and sidespin are not the only factors.

I'm perplexed. Can anyone tell me how this stop and squat action can be achieved?

Thanks in advance for any worthwhile help. Namaste.
    If there is a dangerous forum ... that's the one. -- LWW (referring to BD NPR)

First off ... nothing will stop ass killings entirely. -- LWW (AKA Vladimir Ulyanov, AKA WV Slim, AKA MrsLWW, .....)

Where did there CEO go yo work at loser? -- LWW (Demonstrating his masterful command of the English language while masquerading as his wife Vladimir.)

I doubt that it kood be a thin kutshot. Shirley it would be a thick kutshot (thicker than halfball).
    And shirley the objektball would be touching or klose to the kushion (and i guess u are kutting it along the kushion).
    mac.

I think it's probably a kind of kick shot, in effect. Depressing the rail, spinning into the object ball full, the object ball's taking away all the momentum of the cue ball except for the spin.

Although I admit that seems unlikely-- impossible, actually.
    A medium sized fish [...]

Not forgetting that one kood engineer a rail such that a qball (or any ball) rolling into it squarely (at 90dg) the qball would retain its topspin and bounce out a distance and then return to the rail. U would need a very slippery rail (ie very low rail friktion)(height of rail wouldnt necessaryly matter).
    On the other hand if 2/7ths of the momentum iz topspin and 5/7ths iz linear then the ball wouldnt return to the rail it would end up rolling away at 3/7ths its original attack speed. Better engineer a rail with a COR of a little under 0.4 (ie a little under 2/5ths) and then the ball would return to the rail.

Not forgetting that one kood engineer the COR of that slippery rail to be 0.00 (ie 0/5ths) such that the ball wouldnt even bounce out a distance. All u would need iz a very dead rail (ie dead rubber, loos rail, etc). The ball would hug the rail while the topspin evaporated.
    mac.
    Its a long time since i thort of this sort of stuff. I think my headmath iz ok. I think friktion losses dont affekt my abov figures koz i iz talking momentum not energy. Not sure now.
    Last edited by cushioncrawler; 08-23-2013 at 04:52 PM.

I doubt that it kood be a thin kutshot. Shirley it would be a thick kutshot (thicker than halfball). And shirley the objektball would be touching or klose to the kushion (and i guess u are kutting it along the kushion). mac.
    Had a few shots just then. I koodnt hold the qball on or near the rail for any kutshot hitting the objektball along the rail (except of course when hitting nearly fullball).
    Ricochet (in addition to topspin) will stop the qball -- but ricochet needs a fullish kontakt on the objektball, and uzually an attack angle of more than 45dg (to get the needed doublekiss). And of course if u had a doublekiss ricochet then that wouldnt be a kutshot (duzzenmadder).
    mac.
    Last edited by cushioncrawler; 08-25-2013 at 02:01 AM.

Alternativly to having a rail with zero friktion -- u kood hav a rail with 100% friktion (or 10000000% if u want). If the hi-friktion rail woz low enuff, the qball would jump/rebound up, and retain some topspin, such that it (slowly) returned to the rail. This iz for a 90dg attack angle.
    Dr Dave would be able to kalkulate the needed ht.
    I reckon praps 0.4R (just guessing).
    I did write/make/dezign a program that would giv me the answer for the needed rail ht -- if i kan be bothered finding that program. It woz about 15Meg i remember.
    mac.
    Last edited by cushioncrawler; 08-25-2013 at 02:00 AM.

Is there a Youtube vid of something similar?

Eric