Rand Paul: Food, Water And Health Care Are Not Human Rights

Progressive Populists
August 26, 2013
http://progressivepopulist.org/2013/...-human-rights/

Rand Paul paid a visit to the University of Louisville, where he gave a speech and then did some Q & A with some medical students. And as if we didnít already know what Rand Paul is all about, we got more of a glimpse into his Ayn Randian worldview with some of his mind-boggling responses. National Review was there to jot this all down.

Asked about whether health care is a commodity or not, here was his response:

Thereís a philosophic debate which often gets me in trouble, you know, on whether health careís a right or not,Ē Paul, in a red tie, white button-down shirt, and khakis, tells the students from the stage. ďI think we as physicians have an obligation. As Christians, we have an obligation. . . . I really believe that, and itís a deep-held belief,Ē he says of helping others.

But I donít think you have a right to my labor. You donít have a right to anyone elseís labor. Foodís pretty important, do you have a right to the labor of the farmer?

Paul then asks rhetorically if people have a right to food and water. His response?

As humans, yeah, we do have an obligation to give people water, to give people food, to give people health care. But itís not a right because once you conscript people and say, ĎOh, itís a right,í then really youíre in charge, itís servitude, youíre in charge of me and Iím supposed to do whatever you tell me to do. . . . It really shouldnít be seen that way.

So basically what Paul is saying that we are not truly free as long as the government plays a role in humans getting food, water, and health care. If the government does play a role, then we are basically being enslaved by the government. He didnít mention it, but he certainly feels the same way about housing.So without the governmentís help, we are free to starve to death, to go without water, be homeless, and go without health care.

Ayn Rand would be SO proud!

If people cannot afford those things, who exactly will help them, if not the government? Corporations? Churches? Do we really want to go down that road?

If you read between the lines, especially with his ďChristians have an obligation to help othersĒstatement, you can see what road he wants to go down.

Paulís Libertarian ideas, combined with his religious rhetoric, is possibly the most dangerous combination possible for a politician to have as a worldview.

And this man is a front-runner to be sitting in the White House starting in January 2017. At the very least, he has a decent shot at winning the Republican primary and being their candidate. That should be scary enough, given that the Republicans are pulling out all the stops to make voting harder for minorities, who typically vote Democratic, in time for the next election. They know that if Hillary Clinton runs, she will be a very formidable candidate, and their only choice is to suppress those who will be voting for her.

Please share this far and wide, for the best way to stop someone like Rand Paul from being elected is to get as many people informed about how dangerous he is to this country, and get those folks to the ballot box.