Thread: Fox Idiot Says Shutting Down Govt. Preferable to Giving People Access to Healthcare

Hybrid View

Fox Idiot Says Shutting Down Govt. Preferable to Giving People Access to Healthcare

Fox Idiot Says Shutting Down Government Preferable to Giving People Access to Healthcare

:Mark Harvey
    09/14/13
    Americans Against The Tea Party

http://aattp.org/fox-idiot-says-shut...to-healthcare/

I’m not sure how many people have said this now, but it seems to be a growing trend. Fox “News” contributor Erick Erickson has repeated the imbecilic battle-cry of shutting down the government in order to defund the Affordable Care Act. The only positive to come from this movement is that it is finally showing the cracks in the Right by causing a great divide over whether or not it even makes sense. Media Matters did a piece in August about the battle between Fox pundits on the issue. Apparently there are still Republicans left who are not giving in to the insanity of the Tea Party. Unfortunately we’ll probably have to wait until it’s too late to find out how this divide will affect things. More on that here, here, here, and here.

Before we get to the video clip, I just wanted to highlight some of the lapses in cognition inherent in what they’re trying to do. First, the bill was passed, signed into law by the President, upheld by the Supreme Court, and is going into effect whether they like it or not. Second, about half of the states are running their own exchanges, or are working with the federal government to do so, so it would be those states losing the funding and being burdened with even more debt, which coincidentally may just cause them all to be forced back into a recession. Third and most importantly, you can’t exactly just shut down the government. Remember the debacle over the debt ceiling and how the Right’s threats caused the credit rating for the United States to drop? It would happen again. But here’s the thing, the credit rating drop would happen no matter what, just from the threats alone, but even worse things would happen if they actually did shut down the government. The US Government isn’t paying its bills anymore? Now many of the more than two million federal employees won’t get their paychecks, or at least will be furloughed.

Now they can’t pay their bills. Federal funding that goes to the States? Now that’s gone too. Federal departments shut down. Your food isn’t being inspected. Don’t you love food-born illness outbreaks? I know I do. More floods in Colorado? No federal aid on its way. Other countries don’t want to do business with us anymore either? Wait, I hear something coming, oh it’s another recession, and it looks like it might be accompanied by a possible full on economic depression. You get the picture, I hope.

Apparently the extremists on the Right, those liberty loving TEApublicans, are so virulently against the idea of the Federal Government doing something positive and helping people by getting them health insurance, that they’re willing to destroy this country’s economy. Because, that makes sense right? What’s that saying about love? If you love your country, run it into complete economic ruin? Is this a worst case scenario analysis? Yes, but why risk such an economic catastrophe? Various articles regarding what can happen in a shut down can be found here and here, though keep in mind that they tend to discuss short-term shut downs, rather than the complete shutdown being threatened currently by some TEApublicans, and that the Democrats have vowed to not pass any measure that would fund everything except the Affordable Care Act.

Watch the video courtesy of Media Matters: http://mediamatters.org/video/2013/0...nt-over/195877

Obamacare Lies Dealt a Death Blow By Study that Finds Full Time Job Growth Expected

ďObamacare is the most dangerous piece of legislation ever passed in Congress. It is the most existential threat to our economy.Ē That ominous warning is courtesy of Republican Representative John Fleming of Louisiana and it is an oft-repeated claim by all manner of conservatives who either are unaware what existential means or are so freakishly deluded they actually believe it.

Apparently most Republicans believe it because it has been their raison díÍtre since the Affordable Care Act became law in 2010, and as obsessions go, it may be an existential threat to Republicans.

It is curious that Republicans have persistently claimed the health law is a threat to the economy when it is not yet fully implemented, but if Fleming was referring to the tired assertion the ACA will kill jobs; their fallback contention was dealt a serious blow this week.

http://www.politicususa.com/2013/09/...-expected.html

Obama Humiliates John Boehner By Laughing At His Debt Ceiling Threat

By: Jason EasleySep. 15th, 2013
    http://www.politicususa.com/2013/09/...ng-threat.html

President Obama handed John Boehner the ultimate humiliation today by laughing off Speaker of the Houseís threat that the president must negotiate on the debt ceiling or else.

Video at the link: http://www.politicususa.com/2013/09/...ng-threat.html

Transcript: Obama on ABCís This Week:

GEORGE STEPHANOPOULOS: Speaker Boehner says, ďListen, you just have to sit down and negotiate with me.Ē Are you still absolutely refusing to talk, in any way, shape or form?

PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA: No. No, no. Keep in mind- my position here, George. ĎCause Iíve- I have been through this a couple times (CHUCKLE) with Speaker Boehner. What Iím- what Iíve said is, with respect to the budget, weíve presented our budget. And now itís the job of Congress to come up with a budget that keeps our long-term trends down of- or- or- or our- our current trends of- of reducing the deficit moving forward, but also allows us to invest in the things that we need to grow.

And Iíve told him, and Iíve told the country, what I think we need to do. Iím happy to have a conversation with him about how we can deal with the so-called sequester, which is making across-the-board cuts on stuff that we shouldnít be cutting, while continuing tax breaks, for example, for companies that are not helping to grow the economy. There are ways of doing this, itís just that they havenít been willing to negotiate in a serious way on that. What I havenít been willing to negotiate, and I will not negotiate, is on the debt ceiling.

Republicans might want to rethink this whole scare Obama into spending cuts with a threat not to raise the debt ceiling plan, because the president isnít looking scared. The only person who should be scared here is Speaker John Boehner, because Obama clearly has the upper hand.

The president has been around the block more than a few times with Boehner and his House Republicans. He knows how this drama plays out. Despite all of their huffy warnings of doom, everyone knows that the wealthy billionaires who fund many Republican campaigns do not want their party to crash the economy (again).

President Obama was burned by Boehner the first time that he tried to negotiate, and he learned a valuable lesson. Unless Obama will negotiate with them, all Republicans have are empty threats. When Obama waits the House Republicans out, he wins. The president has nothing to lose. The pressure is all on the House Republicans. They are up for reelection next year. Paying the nationís bills is their constitutional duty. House Republicans will feel the wrath of the voters if they hurt the economy.
    The president knows that Boehnerís threats are meaningless. He can laugh them off because they are nothing more than hot air from an empty suit. House Republicans keep trying the same crisis creating tactics and failing. President Obama already knows how the debt ceiling issue is going to end, and whether theyíll admit it or not, Republicans do too.

All John Boehner has accomplished with his threats is to make himself and his party an even bigger punchline.